100 miles in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Not sure i could ever get to a 100 because of the numbness in my hands when riding. Also get it in the forearms too. Never any issues with cardio or legs tiring tho. Same on all three bikes i ride.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Was the 97 the Meon by any chance?
No, just a solo ride round the roads of Devon. Glorious weather for it too.

JustT

Regular
Perfectly do-able..

I bought my first road bike in 20 years last January to train for a sprint triathlon..........a banged up old ladies falcon, In august I got a nice new shiny raleigh and then in September did the manchester 1oo mile...in just about 6 hours. If you enjoy it, it makes it a lot easier, your mind has great power over the body and often takes over where the training ends :smile:

apollo179

Hi Adolf .
Id recommend taking it relatively easy the first time you do 100 miles. Once youve done it once that will give you the confidence and next time you can really go for it and hopefully knock some lumps off your time.
Nothing worse than nailing a distance first time and then finding youre getting increasingly slower thereafter - very dispiriting.

OP
OP
A

Adolf

When I'm next of work probably the weekend if they is no overtime on should I just try it? I'm not sure where 100 miles will be from Newcastle though to be honest?

Besides porridge and flapjack is anything else good?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Is it this possible with ease with a relatively flat route and will it take alot of training?

I've done 70+ on my MTB so on a road / hybrid bike it would be easily doable. Food and fluids are your main concerns along with tools for the unexpected.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
When I'm next of work probably the weekend if they is no overtime on should I just try it? I'm not sure where 100 miles will be from Newcastle though to be honest?

Bananas, whey protein, jelly babies (and other such sweets) energy gels. Also you ask about carrying kit. I know that many roadies will disagree but I come from a MTB background where a camelbak is your best friend (other hydration packs are available) :smile:

OP
OP
A

Adolf

So basically anything sugary like mars bars, snickers and stuff will work to?

For 100 miles, what will the average MPH generally be?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So basically anything sugary like mars bars, snickers and stuff will work to?

For 100 miles, what will the average MPH generally be?
Yep all good stuff - remember though that chocolate melts and can get quite messy :smile:
Re MPH - Without knowing you and your route that is impossible to say. Worry less about time and more about completion (unless you have a limited time-frame in which to do the ride)

apollo179

Porridge can get quite messy to eat as your going along.
Nutritionists may disagree but i just take some fruit to eat along the way , like apples and easy peelers , bananas are excellent as well.

OP
OP
A

Adolf

Yep all good stuff - remember though that chocolate melts and can get quite messy :smile:
Re MPH - Without knowing you and your route that is impossible to say. Worry less about time and more about completion (unless you have a limited time-frame in which to do the ride)

I'd prefer to do it in around 6-8 hours, I am fit I'm not being big headed but I've got good stamina, the whole distance is 158 miles from where I want to be going according to google maps, but isn't that much in 1 day pushing it or is it possible?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'd prefer to do it in around 6-8 hours, I am fit I'm not being big headed but I've got good stamina, the whole distance is 158 miles from where I want to be going according to google maps, but isn't that much in 1 day pushing it or is it possible?

Try is and find out. Be prepared to turn back if it gets too much. Just about anything is possible if you are fit enough and fast enough.

OP
OP
A

Adolf

Try is and find out. Be prepared to turn back if it gets too much. Just about anything is possible if you are fit enough and fast enough.

I kind of wouldn't wanna turn back, I'm the type of person to like to get something done once I start in this situation for example, but could you do 150 miles in a day?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I kind of wouldn't wanna turn back, I'm the type of person to like to get something done once I start in this situation for example, but could you do 150 miles in a day?

What bike will you be riding? - On a MTB it would be hard going. On a road / tourer quite possible.

doog

As stated I did 140 miles in a day with 4 panniers and a tent, a bad back and bad knees. Anything is possible.

This was my route (I have to keep reminding myself I was that nuts)

http://www.mapmyride...s/view/39786576

Cereal bars are good, they are small, dont melt and light on your stomach.

Top Bottom