100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason.T

As I'm planning on doing the tour of Pembroke in April which is 100 miles should I just get out there and get 100 miles under my belt to see how I feel or should I build on it slowly,

I've done plenty of 25-30 miles and one 50 miler, my biggest problem is not getting out enough due to work and having my son at the weekends so on avarage I'm only out about once a week, been riding since the end of April with a total of 600 miles done since then

I've got a free day tomorrow so should I just get on it and do 100 or keep it to something like 60-70 miles

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
The first time I did 100 miles I was only doing rides of around 30 miles twice a week, then the odd 50-60 miler once a month.
If your doing rides of 30 miles with ease, you will do the 100miler its just down to how long it takes.
The more you can put in in the lead up to it the easier and quicker you will manage it/

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I think they used to suggest something like 10% increase a week but to be honest I've just upped the mileage a bit each week. I trained for the Fred Whitton a few years ago and just did three hour-long turbo sessions during the week and a long one at weekend, upping the mileage each week.

They say before an event if you've done 75% of the mileage you'll be fine and you sound like you are well on the way to that and you've got plenty of time to go that wee bit more. I would just do a ride of 60-70miles rather than pushing it at this time of year with light fading, etc.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Jumping from 50 miles to 100 miles would be hard work but is doable (if you're stubborn enough ;)). It would be easier if you can get at least one 75 miler under your belt before the event though.:thumbsup:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'd back up what HLaB and Rickshaw Phil said. Don't hammer yourself now aiming for 100, but if you can do 70, that would be a good work up.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

I'm pretty comfortable doing 30-40 miles, when I did my 50 miles I was feeling pretty weak on the last 10 miles but after speaking to some other cyclist they say that was more down to nutrition as I only had squash and a bag of haribbos on me

Ernie_RBR

I only had squash and a bag of haribbos on me

You'll need to be topping up more than that tbh. Try eating dried fruit like raisins or dates, jellybabies, low fat bite-sized cookies and taking on board the odd powergel etc. Energy bars are a terrific source of carbs. Try getting into a routine were you drink and eat every 25-45 mins during your ride, that way you'll keep yourself topped up and hopefully avoid the Bonk :heat: ...If you only have 1 water bottle holder I'd invest in another .. Reference training, I'd recommend some beat up training and a recce of the route is also recommend that way you can tailor your training to the route your going to be doing.

Hope that helps and Good luck

Ernie_RBR

vickster

Legendary Member
I went from a hot and hilly 70 to a cooler (and wetter) flatter 102...I was very tired by the end and saddle sore...make sure you have the right shorts for the miles to help the nether regions. I was very stiff for a few days after the 100, not so much after the 70

You'll need proper food for the 100+ ; arrange to have a lunch stop

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Cheers guys, I shall take all comments on board if I can get out tomorrow I'll be aiming for 60ish miles, going to try a flatish route but that's not as easy as it sounds living in hilly west wales

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Celtic Series , I love that. (Being Welsh/Irish on one side of my father's family, and Norman/Irish on the other side)
P.S. They gave us some little packets of chamois cream last year, for the above mentioned ride. Great fun, until I got sick at mile 20. Always this year.

Top Bottom