1000 mile on penny farthing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fantastic. It's people like that who make the world an interesting place to be.
And who help keep the trauma surgeons busy! :eek: :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a chap who rides one on the London to Brighton Veteran Car Rally every year. It's a fair old slog climbing Clayton Hill.

And of course, there's the FNR's Charlotte (usually found over at the other place) who has ridden hers on a night right, she also won a medal in Australia at a Penny Farthing World Championships.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Isn't that the point, if it was easy everybody and his dog would be doing it.
But there's "difficult" and "having to get off and push up the hills". I'm just interested to know what sort of hill a reasonably fit cyclist could manage on one of those

I'm guessing those tough 10% climbs out of Cornish valleys would be too hard but I've never seen anyone ride one on anything but flat

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
20 hours a day for 5 days. He’s going to need a comfortable riding position.
20 hours a day for 5 days. He’s going to need a new bum

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But there's "difficult" and "having to get off and push up the hills". I'm just interested to know what sort of hill a reasonably fit cyclist could manage on one of those

I'm guessing those tough 10% climbs out of Cornish valleys would be too hard but I've never seen anyone ride one on anything but flat
The maximum size of the front wheel is limited by how long the rider's legs are. I think the biggest ones tend to be about 5 feet, or what we call a 60 inch gear.

My singlespeed bike has a 72 inch gear and I can (just about!) get up 8-9% on it but I am not that fit. I reckon a fit rider could get up hills steeper than 10% on a 60 inch gear, no problem. Mind you, some of those hills in Cornwall and Devon are a lot steeper than 10% ... :whistle:

Is he still riding up to Slack Top, the long way round, from Hebden Bridge?

Not down there as much now, so it's a good few years since last seen.
I have never seen anybody riding one round here, or anywhere else in real life (as opposed to on TV).

Top Bottom