103mm Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not wishing to doubt your measuring skills, but 103mm is a very short axil length for a double chainset. If you're sure it is, I've bought one of these https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BBTKJISCBN/token-jis-square-taper-sealed-carbon-body-bottom-bracket for my fixed.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks. I was surprised, but I laid it out next to the 110mm I bought and it was clearly shorter, so then I measured with a steel rule, and it looks to be about 103mm if I stand them up next to each other and measure the entire thing.

RebornBumbler

FSA certainly make a 103mm - I can't imagine why Felt chose a shorter model for the Z series than the Fs, but obviously they did.

Nearest UN55 is (I believe) a 107mm, and though the difference in pedal width (Q) probably isn't of concern, it might make the chainline unacceptably skewed when on the big ring and lower gears - I wouldn't do it on my F95, but then that does have very short chainstays - the Z wouldn't be affected to the same degree.

Other alternatives are BBs usually used for track - I'd imagine they're generally good, but don't have any experience.
There are a few here: http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopchain.html

(You'll want JIS square taper, BTW)

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
The one I took out was an FSA, it gets bad comments on forums.

In the end I ordered the one above, the Token, from PlanetX and received and installed it today. Size wise it was an exact match and given it a quick mile up and down the street and it seems fine. Only time will tell if it has cured the ticking noise but pedalling seemed smoother (although maybe that was psychologically wanting it to be "better" after spending an hour removing/fitting!)

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Sorry to drag up this thread @BrynCP but my Z100 now needs a new bottom bracket, just wondering how you were getting on with the token?
Had no problems with it at all since installing it, and I managed to install it fine without a problem. I think the crank arm on the drive side sits a fraction further up the axle than previously, but is still not touching the shell at all.

Top Bottom