105 5800 calipers and removing ferrules from cable outers..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I replaced the manky Tektro calipers on my Boardman just after getting it as the originals were crap.

I hit a snag in that the existing (Jagwire) cable outers are fitted with steel ferrules where they interface with the cable stop / adjustor at the caliper, and this was too big to go into the new 105's cable stops. At the time I got around this by swapping the Tektro stops onto the 105 calipers, however I'd like to flog the Tektro calipers so really need to swap the stops back.

So... my questions are:

1. Are all cable outers / ferrules nominally the same OD, or am I likely to be able to source a smaller-OD outer and ferrule to use with the 105 calipers? Existing cables are a touch under 5mm OD, ferrules are 5.6mm (at the back end, maybe a bit more at the front) while frustratingly the ID of the stops on the 105 calipers is 5.5mm (or a shade more as measured with a vernier).

2. Is it acceptable to run the cable outers without ferrules at the caliper, since I can't see any other way of using the original 105 cable stops with the existing cable outers..? I don't like the idea of the potentially sharp cable end coming into contact with the stop, but could potentially pack it out with something.

3. If I'm OK going Ferrule-less, can anyone suggest the best way to remove the existing ones without damaging the cable outers?

boydj

Legendary Member
You don't need the ferrules. I've just done this job myself. You do need to have a nice clean, square cut on the outer cable. I generally finish the cable end with a file so there are no sharp points left. It helps to have good quality cable cutters.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

You don't need the ferrules. I've just done this job myself. You do need to have a nice clean, square cut on the outer cable. I generally finish the cable end with a file so there are no sharp points left. It helps to have good quality cable cutters.
Thanks - hopefully no need to cut them if I can get the ferrule off (will start gently with pliers and a bit of old innertube - don't want to destroy it if I don't have to) and no problem dressing the ends up a bit with a file :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Well, it's done... I ended up having to run a cutting disc along the length of the ferrules to get them off as they were on tight. This resulted in going through the outer plastic casing on the cable on the rear, managed not to on the front but still marked it. Flushed the ends of the cables and finished them with a coarse stone, then wrapped each end in a layer of PVC tape to hide the marks.

Not ideal but at least both sets of calipers are now complete and I can flog the original ones.. tbh I prefered the stops from the Tektros but wasn't going to let the Shimano stops go with the Tektro calipers and they'd have been worthless with no stops..

Well, it's done... I ended up having to run a cutting disc along the length of the ferrules to get them off as they were on tight. This resulted in going through the outer plastic casing on the cable on the rear, managed not to on the front but still marked it. Flushed the ends of the cables and finished them with a coarse stone, then wrapped each end in a layer of PVC tape to hide the marks.

Not ideal but at least both sets of calipers are now complete and I can flog the original ones.. tbh I prefered the stops from the Tektros but wasn't going to let the Shimano stops go with the Tektro calipers and they'd have been worthless with no stops..
Why were you so desperate to keep the Shimano stops? I'm not sure most buyers would notice.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Why were you so desperate to keep the Shimano stops? I'm not sure most buyers would notice.
Just for completeness really - buyers probably wouldn't notice but it'd irritate me.

Speaking of which I do kind of regret not leaving the Tektro stops on there, keeping the Shimano ones as well and flogging the calipers without the stops, as they're worth next to nowt anyway.

Think I'll bother a few suppliers of ferrules for measurements as I've read of some on the net that should come in with an OD that would go inside the 105 stops. It looks and works fine as it is, but my OCD-tendencies have been pretty crappy recently and it'd be one less thing to worry about / dwell on.

Top Bottom