105 5800 compatible with new R7000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
With the release of the new R7000 spec 105 I was thinking are the parts compatible?

If I needed to replace for example my levers would they work with the other components?

I was thinking I could do a slow changeover as parts wore out.

pawl

Legendary Member
With the release of the new R7000 spec 105 I was thinking are the parts compatible?

If I needed to replace for example my levers would they work with the other components?

I was thinking I could do a slow changeover as parts wore out.

My Ultegra levers work fine with 105medium cage.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
11 speed Shimano road groups are mutually compatible. 11 speed doesn't work with 10 speed (or lower) because the ratio of the rear mech changed for 11 speed - this is why NOS 10 speed kit can cost more than 11 speed now! Not everyone wants 11 speed chains and the thinner sprockets and rings.

gavintc

Guru
I have just 'upgraded' from an elderly 12 yr Ultegra to the new 105 R7000. I just picked up the bike last night, but on looking at it and making a few changes on a static bike, it is impressive and much smoother than my old groupset. The reason for the upgrade was that I needed, rear derailleur, cassette and the STI shifters were worn. Once I had costed the 10 speed replacement parts, it was not a big jump to a brand new groupset. £399 from Vanilla Bikes - not a bad deal.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
By the time your 5800 parts wear out you won’t be able to buy R7000. I also would not ‘upgrade’ just because you can.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
By the time your 5800 parts wear out you won’t be able to buy R7000. I also would not ‘upgrade’ just because you can.

Well true I won’t replace for the sake of it.

My rear mech is damaged and I had been putting up with the shiftiimg being less than smooth, LBS tried to adjust it out but it’s not great.

It was my fault I put the bike down on its side and my daughter stepped on the thing.

Top Bottom