105 5800 outer chainring - in two parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As per thread title - is the 105 5800 chainring in two parts?

I've been tracking down a small clicking noise which occurred yesterday in my rarely used small/small combo.

Not a real issue tbh but I thought that I would check hanger alignment (slightly off and corrected) and the rear mech' high, low, 'B' and cable tension settings - all fine.

I eventually traced the click to when the rotating chain occasionally intersects with the rear protruding section of the rivets on the outer chainring - the back of the little silver dots pictured here just by the chainring teeth (ignore the weight thing - not my picture):

105 outer chainring.jpg

I'd always assumed that the 'ring was one piece so am I right in thinking that it is of two piece construction?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Those pins are to help the chain climb from small to large ring during shifting. Running small/small means the off line chain will catch on either them or the teeth on the chainring, hence the clicking.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was driven mad with a click from there, i thought.
Turned out to be pedal needed grease ,perfect after that.

Do check pedal play:smile:

Clicks from the ring bolts are very common. They are in 2 pieces to allow a change of ring / crank, independent of each other.

Venod

Eh up
How can a "ring bolt" be in "2 pieces"

I don't understand your surprise.

A chainring bolt is in 2 pieces allowing you to change the chainrings, or are you referring to something else ?

si_c

Guru
Also with newer series Shimano chainrings, the bolt threads into the big ring, there is no separate nut.

Venod

Eh up
I'm surprised he hasn't tried to get us to call them screws

That would be a more accurate description, as they are fully threaded, a bolt has a plain shank between the thread and the head, a fully threaded one is known as a set screw in the UK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom