105 Brake Levers and Vbrakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
105 brake levers are very unlikely to pull sufficient cable to operate V brakes.

Tim Hall

Generally you can't mix calliper levers (such as the 105) with V brakes. The leverage will be all wrong, and you may well get the lever bottoming out before the brakes do any useful work.

From looking at the photo my mind cannot conceive how these work.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From looking at the photo my mind cannot conceive how these work.
I thought it was a strange idea so I looked it up ... See this PDF file.

Basically, the cable is wrapped round a small pulley, emerges from a slot in the side of it, continues round a larger outer pulley and then goes to the brake. So if the inner pulley moves by 20 degrees then the outer pulley which is attached to it must also move by 20 degrees but the cable is being pulled a greater distance because of the larger diameter of the second pulley - a clever idea!

I thought it was a strange idea so I looked it up ... See this PDF file.

Basically, the cable is wrapped round a small pulley, emerges from a slot in the side of it, continues round a larger outer pulley and then goes to the brake. So if the inner pulley moves by 20 degrees then the outer pulley which is attached to it must also move by 20 degrees but the cable is being pulled a greater distance because of the larger diameter of the second pulley - a clever idea!
Cheers, i think i understand it now. :banghead:

Top Bottom