105 grouper upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-r7000-groupset-118524.html

This is a bargain at the moment. Just make sure you’re freehub / wheel will take an 11 speed set up. I’d use this as an excuse to upgrade if it were me, this groupset is particularly good bang for the buck as well.
£580 for Ultegra if you are feeling flush but as others have said Tiagra does the job just as well. Brake hoods comfier on ultegra imo.
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8000-groupset-special-offer-113147.html

£580 for Ultegra if you are feeling flush but as others have said Tiagra does the job just as well. Brake hoods comfier on ultegra imo.
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8000-groupset-special-offer-113147.html
Tiagra is noticeably not quite as good. The extra ratios from the 11 speed are more noticeable than you’d imagine, and some of the components are different in design and function on the 7000 and 8000 ( particularly the front mech ).

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's a CC truth that anything more than X (where X is what the poster uses themselves) is a stupid vanity purchase for fools and wannabes only. X is the choice of the sensible rider.
only a tiny amount of responses from people actually answering the question of where they are for sale. It's just an interesting foible that I observe of CC.
"I haven't read the thread in enough detail"
Well actually, old chap, if you read the thread you'll see that the question in the OP has been addressed/answered by most of the posts, and there's been minimal 'vanity expenditure' comment. There's been some sideline enquiry about the premise or catalyst for the upgrade which was that the OP had been told his Sora STIs were on the point of failure (which you, I and others know is unlikely).

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Coming back to the OP. In your position, I would probably go for some brand new Sora R3000 levers (if the levers really are dead). It should work with the rest of your stuff*, but you can now have under bar-tape cable routing.

However, if you want 105 in 11sp, then you will have to think about replacing most of the drive train, and possibly the rear wheel as well.

*I haven't done this exact change, but they haven't changed the actuation ratios for sora yet, and I have replaced 2300 shifters with Claris R2000 ones recently and it works fine with my old derailleurs.

Sharky

Guru
I used to wonder why fixed and single speed bikes were still popular.

davidphilips

Veteran
Agree with the advice from I like Skol and Alax , si-c and GlenBen, Check what the fault really is, it could even be worn jockey wheels in the rear derailleur if it is then all i would upgrade is the worn jockey wheels as ultegra wheels are only a few pounds more and have better bearings can be bought and delivered for less than £12 on EBay.

Check what the fault really is, it could even be worn jockey wheels in the rear derailleur if it is then all i would upgrade is the worn jockey wheels as ultegra wheels are only a few pounds more and have better bearings can be bought and delivered for less than £12 on EBay.

I very much doubt it.

Lots of imfo on the internet ie https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=111997, very easy to both check and replace if required and very often over looked but can make a big difference to shifting.

Internet says blah blah blah. Experience says that’s a load of old cobblers. The jockey wheels really need to be in a total state to cause issues. If you keep them clean, they really won’t cause problems. An issue that is more common than you might think is people putting the jockey wheels in the wrong positions. The ‘G pulley’ or guide pulley ( it’s usually marked with the word ‘Guide’ stamped on it ) goes at the top, the ‘T’ pulley ( or tension pulley) goes at the bottom. The guide pulley is often a different size and shape to the tension pulley and is designed with more play built in so it can track across / up and down the cassette.

Last edited:
Top Bottom