105 or Ultegra groupset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gkerr4

I think I would go for it - they have brought out a new Ultegra SL groupset too - which fills the price gap between normal ultegra and dura ace.

But yes - if I was buying a new groupset - I think I would find the extra for the ultegra over 105

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
I have never ever noticed a significant improvement in my ride performance from a bike kit upgrade but the extra bling always feels nice:smile:. If you have the money go for it.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You'll probably not be able to notice the difference. I always go for the most expensive parts i can afford at the time.
so it would be ultegra for me.

monnet

Guru
Ultegra certainly has a bit of an edge on things like brake calipers and blocks and the amount of wear you get off your chain and sprockets but 105 is pretty good. I read in Top Velo a French magazine orientated towards the cyclosportive market (and boy do those guys make sportive look serious) that for them

'Apart from the kudos of Dura Ace, 105 is the best groupset Shimano offer. The front chainring is a bit ugly and after 12 000km the chain was so pliable it could be plaited, although it hadn't actually stretched. Certainly the value is much greater than spending an extra €160 for the paultry benefit of a 100gram weight saving.'

That said, I'd certainly go for Ultegra if that was my budget, and try to fit as many dura ace bits to it as possible!

twowheelsgood

12,000km from a chain!!!!!

I usually change mine after 2-3000km. Maybe that's why the ring was looking "ugly"? You can't be too unhappy with that!

I have several set-ups having standardized all my bikes on Shimano 9-speed ranging from Tiagra to Ultegra (the previous version). All feel different and I'm particulary impressed by the Ultegra hub/freehub, although I prefer the 105 STIs.

However unless you are good enough that that 100g makes a difference then I wouldn't sweat it. I went for the stuff I did at each time because that's what I could afford. I still use the lower range stuff and don't partcularly view it as "inferior" or go "ugh" everytime I sit on my Trek 1200 with Tiagra. I certainly wouldn't stretch a budget or buy-up on tick.

It's probably better to say simply the more you pay, the smoother and more refined it feels, functionally no different, rather like fitting soundproofing to the same car. Realistically, it's often the kudos you get from other riders of having good kit, although there's something deeply satisfying about anihilating a serious looking rider on a Colnago with entry level kit, or better stil my hybrid with pannier stuffed with shopping!

monnet

Guru
twowheelsgood said:
12,000km from a chain!!!!!

I usually change mine after 2-3000km. Maybe that's why the ring was looking "ugly"? You can't be too unhappy with that!

Their test is always to push the stuff to its absolute limit to see just how much you can get out of it. 12000km is obviously a long way but changing every 2-3000km seems a bit excessive. How often is that in time? If I did that I'd be changing it every 8 weeks. I reckon I get about 7000 out of my 105 chain

chris42

twowheelsgood said:
I'm a bit on the large side and am pretty strong. I change the chain when it stretches. This is one reason why I'm not going to 10 speed.

You say large?
How large?
I have weighed up to 116kgs (18 odd stone) and have ridden dura ace 10 speed for 3 years with no breakages at all. avarage of 5500 miles each year.

I'm luckey enough to have a dura ace chainset, chain and casette on my wet/winter bike and again zero problems.
Chains last about 2000 miles.

Top Bottom