105 R7000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
How are other people finding this group set?
I can’t deny the shifting is silky smooth but my major gripe is it doesn’t seem as robust as the 5800?

My chain can be slightly dirty and it really starts shifting badly especially the front it becomes a real effort to get the chain onto the big ring.

Could it just need an indexing from a shop? And the cables checked for tension etc.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Assuming that it's a new fitting, trouble shifting to the big ring is a gimme. The cables will have settled down in their housings and gone a bit slack. Shift onto the small ring and either re-tension the cable by slackening the clamp bolt and pulling it taut or adjust it with the down tube adjuster if you have one.

si_c

Guru
No problems here after several thousand miles, shifting is still as good as it was. Have it on both road bikes same experience.

Gunk

Guru
ok thanks all I will get it booked in, it's fitted this year and done 1700 miles since fitting so maybe cable tensions etc

That’s all it will be, I had problems with my Sram XO rear mech on my MTB recently, a quick tug and tighten of the cable resolved it, try doing it yourself, it’s an easy fix.

Reactions: C R

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I have apparently a common problem with the left shifter which does not return small paddle so shifting back to big ring is troublesome
Luckily there is an easy solution:

View: https://youtu.be/-mCwvDtRw8U

Some questionable design from Japanese...
Also, why such an ugly chainset?

To check if this is actually a working solution just insert 2p between the paddles and if it engages tape or glue smth there

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You never get this trouble with Campag, it just works.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've run complete hydro R7000 on my CdF for about 2.2k miles and it's been fantastic so far. I did go through it early on and set up the shifted cables to a combination of Shimano workshop and my own procedure and it's not missed a beat since.

Not sure if the hydro shifters are different to the cable-braked version when it comes to the gear mech / system shortcomings, nor can I comment on the underlying engineering as I have no experience in this field and haven't had them to bits.. but so far I've found them to be very nicely made / finished and couldn't ask for more functionally.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
If I want to tighten the cable on the front derailleur I just take off the cover on the top, and there is the larger Allen head, loosen and pull a little more cable through right?

I have it shifting now but it’s not as smooth as it was, you really need to give the shifter a hard nudge to shift.

Top Bottom