105 Rear Derailleur & Tiagra Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
Yes, this is my current set up.

adscrim

Veteran
Do you mean changing while standing up on the pedals? This is pretty much always going to result in crunchy shifting I would have thought.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't think any of it will change that well if you are standing on the pedals. Back off the pedal pressure a little for each change and it should be smoother.

Changing to a higher spec mech won't make a whole lot of difference.

I wrecked my Tiagra rear mech a few months ago, and was fortunate to get a really good price on an Ultegra to replace it. Wouldn't say the shifting performace is that much better.

If you're a big guy and you're changing gears under load, out of the saddle I'm not surprised the shiftings a bit rough!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Dave Davenport said:
If it's an older 9 speed 105 rear mech no problem, if it's a new one they're 10 speed and Tiagra is 9.

Doesn't matter, as all Shimano mechs (except old Dura Ace) have the same geometry. The important thing is to match the shifters with the cassette.

MartinC

Über Member
According to reviews I've seen the latest 105 10 speed shifters and rear mechs operate on a different cable pull and aren't compatible with previous S stuff.

Top Bottom