105 shifters - again :(

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
Last week, got my front 105 derailleur shifter replaced gratis by Halfords 'cos it had broken. The bloody thing's only gone and broken again on me. I can't get it out of the big cog now. I've only been riding it a week. WTF????
 
OP
G

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
 

e-rider

crappy member
Location
South West
Yes, it appears to be a fairly common problem - I have 105 shifters on my road bike and I'm quite worried now!

I've done about 1000 miles so far without problems but reading those other posts it seems that it can happen at any time!

Follow their advice and get Ultegra next time.

As the 105 shifters are triple chainset compatible; if you use them with a double/compact, should you be using the 1st and 2nd click or the 2nd and 3rd click?
 
OP
G

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
tundragumski said:
Yes, it appears to be a fairly common problem - I have 105 shifters on my road bike and I'm quite worried now!

I've done about 1000 miles so far without problems but reading those other posts it seems that it can happen at any time!

Follow their advice and get Ultegra next time.

As the 105 shifters are triple chainset compatible; if you use them with a double/compact, should you be using the 1st and 2nd click or the 2nd and 3rd click?
Yeah I dunno. I've got a double too. Maybe this is part of the problem but even so, they shouldn't break in one week!!!
 

amaferanga

Veteran
Location
Bolton
I think there is a problem with 105 shifters, but I also think that the breakages are partly down to set-up. I think this because a number of people seem to be having more than one shifter fail, which would be strange if these were random failures.

I've been using 105 shifters on one bike for about 5000 miles and have had no issues (yet!).
 

Chris James

Über Member
Location
Huddersfield
From what I have read, the issue was with the double / triple shifters used on a double. And overshifting involving cranking up the cable tension too high.

I have a triple on my audax bike with 105 shifters and they have done 5000 miles and performed flawlessly.
 
OP
G

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
Chris James said:
From what I have read, the issue was with the double / triple shifters used on a double. And overshifting involving cranking up the cable tension too high.

I have a triple on my audax bike with 105 shifters and they have done 5000 miles and performed flawlessly.
Well I do have a double but I don't know what you mean by "overshifting"? To my mind you shouldn't be able to break a (rather expensive) shifter by using one finger. That seems like a design flaw to me rather than user error.
 

e-rider

crappy member
Location
South West
Chris James said:
From what I have read, the issue was with the double / triple shifters used on a double. And overshifting involving cranking up the cable tension too high.

I have a triple on my audax bike with 105 shifters and they have done 5000 miles and performed flawlessly.
what do you mean by cranking up the cable tension? Surely the shifters only work correctly when the cable tension is set just right. It would be impossible to have the cables tensioned too high.
 
OP
G

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
Halfords are making noises about an upgrade to Ultegra now having seen the shifter although they need to speak to the distributor first. Fingers crossed.
 

Chris James

Über Member
Location
Huddersfield
tundragumski said:
what do you mean by cranking up the cable tension? Surely the shifters only work correctly when the cable tension is set just right. It would be impossible to have the cables tensioned too high.
My understanding is that it is still possible to shift the lever despite the stop preventing the derailleur cage moving, resulting in increased cable tension - too much for the plastic stop within the shifter.

Yes, I agree it is a design fault, hence Shimano now changing the design to triple and double specific shifters.
 
OP
G

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
tundragumski said:
So pushing the lever too far then. I guess some people might be a bit heavy handed with them.
Well maybe but I still think that they shouldn't break. How would you feel if your car gear stick came off in your hand and you were told it was because you were changing gear too vigourously? It shouldn't break under those circumstances IMO.
 

beancounter

Well-Known Member
Location
South Beds
gouldina said:
Well maybe but I still think that they shouldn't break. How would you feel if your car gear stick came off in your hand and you were told it was because you were changing gear too vigourously? It shouldn't break under those circumstances IMO.
On the other hand, I have exactly the same 105 triple shifter as you, used on a double chainring. Because I know how it works and how to shift it without breaking it, it hasn't broken in 3000 miles of use.

You, on the other hand, don't know how it works and you've broken two of them.

Is that therefore a design fault, a manufacturing fault or user error?

bc
 
OP
G

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
beancounter said:
On the other hand, I have exactly the same 105 triple shifter as you, used on a double chainring. Because I know how it works and how to shift it without breaking it, it hasn't broken in 3000 miles of use.

You, on the other hand, don't know how it works and you've broken two of them.

Is that therefore a design fault, a manufacturing fault or user error?

bc
Well I think it's pretty obvious personally but if it makes you feel good sure, it's my fault.

Incidentally, since you are clearly an expert on using 105 shifters and I'm a ham-fisted oaf who doesn't understand how to change gears as you suggest (which is charming btw thanks), should riders who buy bikes with these shifters be forced to take a course in using them in case they break them?
 

beancounter

Well-Known Member
Location
South Beds
gouldina said:
Well I think it's pretty obvious personally but if it makes you feel good sure, it's my fault.
It doesn't make any difference to me, it's not my shifter that keeps breaking.

If you'd rather keep visisting your bike shop for replacements (instead of learning something about how your bike works) that's up to you.

bc
 
Top Bottom