1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

105 spacers on Dura-ace cassette?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Stick on a Giant, 7 Aug 2007.

1. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

I've just noticed that the Dura-ace and Ultegra cassettes on Mrs G's and my roadbike appear to have black spacers with '105' on them, which seems a bit odd to me. I know the Dura-ace cassette was a Dura-ace cassette, as I'd bought the groupset separately and took it to the bike shop who built it onto a frame. The Ultegra groupset was provided by the same bikeshop, and they built that straight onto a frame they provided.
    I haven't yet had the chance to take either cassette off the wheel to see if it is still the right one, so I might be worryingly un-neccessarily.
    So if anyone's got a D-A or Ultegra cassette, and can see any writing on the sprocket spacers, let me know what it says! Ta.

2. skwerl

skwerl New Member

the spacers are just thin plastic rings. Can't imagine they'd have Dura-Ace and Ultegra variants of those. They weigh nothing

3. OP
    OP
    Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

It's not the weight of the plastic that worries me, it's whether I've really got D-A or Ultegra, which I've paid for, on there, or some-ones trying to pull a fast one by putting a 105 cassette on the bikes. I think the cassettes are coming off tonight, as Mrs G has spotted the post and won't stop worrying until it's sorted!

4. PapaZita

PapaZita Über Member

I think the text is "10S" for 10-Speed rather than "105". My 10-speed Ultegra cassettes all have this printing on them.

PZ.

5. skwerl

skwerl New Member

DA will be fairly obvious. They are titanium sprockets, mounted three at a time (for the bigger 6) to titanium spiders. Lock-ring should have Dura-Ace stamped on it too.
    PapaZita sounds right though. 10S is probably more like it