11-32 cassette v 11-34

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Off to the Alps again the the summer and the bike I`m going to hire has a choice of two rear cassettes - an 11-32 or an 11-34. The front cassette is 34-50.

Is there ant real advantage between the two, I assume the 11-34 will be slightly easier to pedal uphill (and I`ll need all the help I can get!). I`m not worried about downhill speeds as I`m the equivalent of James May when I descend but is there any difference when on a flat surface?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There will be a little bit more of a jump between gears that if you are very sensitive on your cadence could be a bit annoying. Personally, I would take the 34 as I can use a wide range of cadence and always appreciate an easier gear if the going gets really tough.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Cheers, I did Alpe d`Huez on an 11-32 and it was "easy" enough mainly cos my own bike is 11-26!

However, I intend to do the Croix de Fer which is 30km of climbing. I did attempt it last year but it was ridiculously hot (37 degrees) so I turned round about 8km from the top as I was feeling a bit odd lol. An 11-34 means I should get to the top (hopefully!)

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
If you were asking for the UK I'd say the 32 due to the closer step changes and therefore easier to find a good cadence, however since you're going off to purposefully climb hills I'd go 34.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi All,

Off to the Alps again the the summer and the bike I`m going to hire has a choice of two rear cassettes - an 11-32 or an 11-34. The front cassette is 34-50.

Is there ant real advantage between the two, I assume the 11-34 will be slightly easier to pedal uphill (and I`ll need all the help I can get!). I`m not worried about downhill speeds as I`m the equivalent of James May when I descend but is there any difference when on a flat surface?
No difference on the flat.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I changed from 11-32 to 11-34 a year or two ago (34-50 up front). It's a definite and noticeable improvement. But then I'm not one of those cadence connoisseurs who cares about jumps between gears.

I don't ride in the Alps. But I do ride the hills of the North Downs, which are pretty much the same thing ;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In my experience, even one tooth makes a noticeable difference. I'd go for the 34.

CXRAndy

Guru
Cheers, I did Alpe d`Huez on an 11-32 and it was "easy" enough mainly cos my own bike is 11-26!

However, I intend to do the Croix de Fer which is 30km of climbing. I did attempt it last year but it was ridiculously hot (37 degrees) so I turned round about 8km from the top as I was feeling a bit odd lol. An 11-34 means I should get to the top (hopefully!)

Try the Marmot route. I attempted it a few years ago, I had terrible gastric distress and failed to go up the Alpe at the end. The gastric distress was caused a day or two before when we cycled up the croix de fer down the other side and up the Glandon, then back to Borg d Oisans with 40C temps. Far too much carb electrolyte on that day screwed subsequent rides :sad:

Only use water now and proper food to fuel

Top Bottom