11 mile commute possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have looked on runkeeper and it looks like there are 2 big climbs and then everything else is either flat or down hill.
The first few months you will dread and hate these, then you will start to love them! My single biggest indicator of improvement are my hills..

OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
Yeah I have noticed the hills on my commute at the moment I've got alot better, especially the ones I go up with the child seat and child trailer on the back lol.

Atm my 4 miles to work is nearly all up hill. Going home is fantastic though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Around 10 miles is a good commute distance. My commute is minimum 7.5 miles, but 90% of the time I do the 11 each way, and then add on site visits and 'long' way gome makes this from 26 - 36 mile round trips.

As others have said, build it up - so ride in say 3 days a week at first, then 4 etc.

Oh and the bit about winter - you'll be hardened by then and won't stop.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been doing 10+ miles each way since May last year. Started once a week and now I'm 4 times a week, including right through the winter.

It depends on your route; if that's OK then it's absolutely possible.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I do about 8.5 each way and weather permitting add a bit on. Mine is hilly, mostly uphill on the way in, but that just helps keep your fitness up.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
the thing with a there and back commute is, regardless of how hilly it is, it nets out to a flat ride.....though I admit the reality can feel rather different.

Bman

Guru
I went from a 3mile commute to a 10mile commute (one way). I was pretty much used to it after a week or two.

Leave yourself enough time for the commute and you'll be fine.

I dont have showers at work. I just bring a full change of clothes, every day. I do have the babywipe option if I really need to, however thats not happened yet.

Edwards80

Über Member
I would say 11 is almost the perfect miles, may take a while to build up to it.

This sums it up for me.

My commute went from sitting on my backside in my mates car to cycling just over 10 miles each way. The first time I did it in October last year, it took over an hour and I felt a little bit ill. After a few weeks I was doing it every day.

It now takes me just 33/35mins and I dread days that I can't use the bike. I did 80 "extra curricular" miles this weekend and I'm planning on taking a long route home to make it up to 20 miles tonight to take in some nicer roads in the cracking weather :smile: So aye, it is doable :biggrin:

Go for it, you will be fine :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the thing with a there and back commute is, regardless of how hilly it is, it nets out to a flat ride.....though I admit the reality can feel rather different.
always feels to me like way more downhill on the way home for some reason.

20km, five-days-a-week, at present, will wimp out in the winter and go multi-modal.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I accept it's flat there and back but mine is definitely more uphill on the way home. I have Blackheath Hill and Shooters Hill to go up on the way home. I only climb Shooters on the way to work.

Chr15

Perfectly do-able. I started cycling to and from work in January - 14.5 miles each way. Initially, it was difficult and I had to allow loads of time, but now - only 2 months later - I can cycle each way on my MTB (with road tyres) in about 1 hr 10 mins, which is as long as the journey would take by train.

I needed to use the train last week for the first time since I began cycling, and absolutely hated it.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
I did 14 miles each way quite happily when I first went back to cycling, took it easy at first and left myself plenty of time getting to work, it got easier and my commute times fell. But now my inconsiderate company have given me a nice new truck to travel to and from work :smile: I dont commute :sad:

Top Bottom