11 speed road shifters on 10 speed mech/cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hi

My wheel is only 10 speed.
If I put 11 speed shifters on it, and set the limit screw properly, would that work?
I've searched, but there doesn't seem to be consensus: some say yes, some say no.

These are road shifters.

Cheers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If 11speed has narrower spacing then it won't work. I don't yet know if that's the case.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My guess is that the spacing is the same, because the cassette is bigger.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
New cassette...might not fit...if not, new wheel.

No, I want to keep my existing wheel and cassette. An 11 speed cassette definitely won't fit my wheel.
I just need to know whether an 11 speed shifter will work on my 10 speed mech and cassette

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Well, you could probably fit it, but it won't work very well. The 10 speed cassettes are generally a fraction thinner and you'll be missing a cog. As a result, the shift will miss by a fraction when you click. You may find 2 or 3 gears (best case scenario) where the chain sits in place but best advice is to get parts designed for the purpose. General advise is to buy the derailleurs, cassette, cranks etc. first, as they can be used with 11 spd shifters. It will most likey be one problem compounded otherwise.

Venod

Eh up
Do you have an 11 speed dérailleur ? this is from CTC forum.

" Shimano 11 speed road STi & 11 speed road der moves 3.85mm per click (shimano 10 speed cassette pitch is 3.95mm, so the total error is less than 1mm across the whole cassette, so this is probably good enought to try out)"

What it doesn't say is the movement with 11 speed road STi & 10 speed road dérailleur.

adscrim

Veteran
The derailleur is not indexed and will move by as much cable as is provided/taken by the shifters. I suspect it will work but not very well.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Derailleur is 10 speed Shimano 105
Sounds like it's not worth the bother.

I'm basically toying with the idea of upgrading my Croix de Fer to the Shimano RS685 hydraulic disc brakes.
The shifters are 11 speed.

Looks like if I want t do that I'd need to buy a new wheelset as well.

The brakes/shifters are £383 at Evans.
So plus another couple of hundred £ for wheelset, cassette and chain (and maybe a new rear derailleur required as well). Probably £600 in total.

That's quite an outlay, not sure if I can justify it.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Derailleur is 10 speed Shimano 105
Sounds like it's not worth the bother.

I'm basically toying with the idea of upgrading my Croix de Fer to the Shimano RS685 hydraulic disc brakes.
The shifters are 11 speed.

Looks like if I want t do that I'd need to buy a new wheelset as well.

The brakes/shifters are £383 at Evans.
So plus another couple of hundred £ for wheelset, cassette and chain (and maybe a new rear derailleur required as well). Probably £600 in total.

That's quite an outlay, not sure if I can justify it.

Hmmm...you could shop around for the cheapest bike you can find with that groupset and then switch the parts over and sell the other? Bit of a fiddle though and you could lose out with depreciation...

Venod

Eh up
Are you talking about the overall span the derailleur can move? I used an old 7/8 spd Tiagra derailleur with 105 10spd shifters and it worked perfectly.

No, the new 11 speed Shimano & their Dyanasis MTB range are designed so the give a different movement ( per same cable pull ) to their other derailleurs.

Top Bottom