11 T JOCKEY WHEELS IN 8 SPEED MECH

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Has anybody ever tried this. The reason Im asking is Ive been given shimano 8 speed rear mech hardly used and works well. For some strange reason one of the jockeys is split right through one of the teeth.

I want to run it on a 9 speed drive train I know it ll work but as Ive got to change the jockeys thought I might as well put 11 t ones in if they ll fit to make everything that little bit slicker.

Alf

Guru
I haven't counted the teeth in my jockey wheels so I don't know whether 11 is a standard number or not. But, I would doubt if you could just change this in any given derailleur because the cage is shaped for a particular diameter of jockey wheel - a larger one would not leave enough room for the chain and a smaller one might work but would look bit odd. If you change the number of teeth, the diameter must change because the pitch will always be half an inch.

Alf

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Yes but looking at it the angle that the chain runs through the cage I dont think clearance will be an issue(larger)as the angle steepens width of th bearing may be the prob.

Gonna play about with it at weekend with wheels and cages see how i get on.

stevew

I have fitted a bigger tension (bottom) pulley on an 8 speed set up using an old Deore XT mech. Worked fine and it wraps a little more chain.
Don't forget that the top pulley often is designed with a little side to side play to centre under the selected cog where as the tension pulley does not have this play.
There is no reason why this won't work, just check for clearance in and around the cage.

Top Bottom