1106 miles in my first 5 months of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
That's bad luck 'drummerbod' but don't let it put you off from cycling. Is it just cracked or does the bone need to be pinned? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

Not nice at all; broken collar bones certainly are painful. Hope you have a quick recovery. Hows your bike? Hopefully that didn't suffer too much damage.

When I broke my collar bone a few years ago I got a prescription for Codeine to cope with the pain. The side effects of the codeine (Headaches/Constipation/etc.) was so unpleasant I stopped taking it; I personally found the side effects to be wore than the pain.

Bikes fine :-)

Codeine - same, had that previously - necer again. Ibuprofen for me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh arse... came off my bike today and landed on shoulder. Rode 12 miles back in a lot of pain. Just got bacl from A&E - broken collar bone!

You say 'landed on shoulder' and you may well have done.

But the classic cause of a broken collar bone is putting your hand out as an instinctive reaction, your hand hits the ground first and the shock travels up your arm to the collar bone.

Rolling with the impact reduces the chance of injury, although it's not easy to think of that in the split second involved.

Last time I fell, I managed to land - arms tucked well in - on my side/shoulder/upper arm.

Lots of bruises, no broken bones.

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

I landed on the back of my shoulder - pushing it forward. No bruising on back but monster (150mm) bruise now at front.

Such a dumbass... I really shouldn't take risks at my age.

G3CWI

Veteran
I'm guessing that 1106 miles is far more than most people in the UK cycle in their whole lifetime - so well done indeed. Hope the collarbone mends soon.

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

Checkout my bruise...

IMG_20150408_131414947.jpg

Top Bottom