11sp Shimano compatible wheelset wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
(Bit of a story here so i apologise for the wall of text)

I took my hand built rear DT Swiss wheel to the shop for some love after the hub was getting a bit crunchy when free wheeling. Got a call on Tuesday notifying me it was ready for collection.

Went out to collect today to find the manager there spinning the wheel on the truing stand and he gave me some bad news... The hub had been overhauled but was still a little crunchy, but even worse was a crack had started to develop in the rim itself and the mechanic who had worked on the wheel failed to catch it.

Ive left the wheel with him for the time being and im searching for a DT Swiss RR440 Rim to replace the cracked one but those have been out of production for a while.

It then occurred to me that even if I had found a replacement rim and given it to him to rebuild the wheel that i'd still be paying over over the odds for what its worth as the freehub is still 'crunchy' and thus pretty worn. Id probably be looking at well over £100 for the work done thus far and also the rebuild. So with that in mind its probably worth getting an entirely new wheelset all together.

(story over :laugh:)

Im looking for an 11sp compatible, rim brake, clincher wheelset thats strong enough to handle around 90kg of ape + some luggage when i want to do FNRTTC or DD rides.
Id like a fast and strong wheelset but i dont want something so heavy it can be used as something to drown me in the river.

Let me know what you got otherwise I'll probably be looking at some Fulcrum or superstar wheels but superstar seems super out of stock currently.

(Just as point of note -- Im waiting for the shop to get back to me with a final figure before i decide what action im going to take but theres a high chance im going to replace the old wheelset entirely. Im just trying to stay ahead of the game by seeing whats currently available to me -- thank you for your time:wacko::wacko:)

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I weigh about the same as you, have 11S gears, rim brakes, and do FNRttCs, so obviously our needs are the same:wacko:

Just over a year ago I got some wheels from The Cycle Clinic: https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/borg26-wheelset-rim-brake-front-and-rear

A year on they are still round.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the link, but yikes! quite a bit over my budget :laugh: I will keep that in mind as the nuclear option!:okay:
Yikes indeed. They cost a lot less last year. Still not cheap mind. Here's my invoice from almost exactly 12 months ago.
1643909416513.png
Or maybe I sent you the wrong link

PS don't mention tubeless or the thread will be infested with people saying how actually they think that ... and so on.

You can run tubes with them!

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Fulcrums have a sub 90k weight limit IIRC.
See what Spa can build you with 32 spokes (albeit a 4 week lead time)
eg https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s178p3733/SPA-CYCLES-Handbuilt-Wheelset:-Novatec-A291(28h)-F482(32h)-With-KINLIN-XR270-XR27R?

Fulcrum 3's reportedly have a 109kg limit but cost of that represents the extreme upper limits of my budget. Not saying that im not happy to part with £400+ im just saying i'll see what i can get away with for my money first lol

vickster

Legendary Member
Fulcrum 3's reportedly have a 109kg limit but cost of that represents the extreme upper limits of my budget. Not saying that im not happy to part with £400+ im just saying i'll see what i can get away with for my money first lol
They’d be too short on spokes for me on London

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
What do we all think of the DT Swiss P 1800 Spline 32 Clinchers?

Ive also found these on ebay.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275090928467?hash=item400cb27353:g:-yUAAOSwFE1gM9fa

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275081846271?hash=item400c27ddff:g:JboAAOSwwIxh0sMx

The Kinlin XR31T are supposedly used by HUNT for their Aero wheels (which are fairly heavy from the listing) and the DT R460 have been around for a very very long time so they dont need no introduction.

These will be for my CUBE, I might add, Im leaning towards the R460 if the P1800 isnt an option. Ive read that the DT370 hubs arent as good as the 350s (pawl vs star ratchet) and i think the P1600 that does have the 350 hub is a bit out of my budget.

Ideally, the Kinlin's would be better off suited to my Triban which are running H Plus Son Archetype wheels but those arent up for replacement yet, Hence the lean towards the 460s - they seem to be more closer to what is being replaced.

Will be great to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if your budget is upto £300-ish then The DT Swiss are probably a better bet than taking a punt on mystery ebay wheel builder man.

the SPA handbuilts with the upgraded spokes will get you a stronger lighter and more serviceable wheel for less money, with brass nipples that will be dead easy to replace a rim if and when it wears down.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Anyone with experience on how the payment process works with spacycles if you request the upgraded spokes? Do they bill you the outstanding £80 via an invoice?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Anyone with experience on how the payment process works with spacycles if you request the upgraded spokes? Do they bill you the outstanding £80 via an invoice?
best way to deal with Spa is to ring them. Don't be surprised if they are a bit blunt, its just their style. The are helpful, one chap went off to find a part and tell me what the bolt fitting etc was on it as the web picture / listing wasn't clear. They will probs then do the payment over the phone.

Top Bottom