12 Months of Commuting by Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

Great summary. 'Same here' really. Started in Jan by buying a turbo trainer, started commuting on an old Brommie (a gift) in April and have already saved £400 off the Oyster. Targetted the Oxford - Cambridge which got me out every weekend up to then, did it in 5:21 and I've kept it going since. Like 400bp I've lost half a stone (in 4 months) down to 12.4 - reckon nearly another stone to go though! Spent about £400 overall on bike and kit - better that than TfL anyway. Loving it. Yet to join groups - I actually like to solo. Once I plateau a bit I'll look for simlarly paced folks. My cycling work mate lives in Cambridge which doesn't help! Lycra. The wife says I look like Bernard Cribbins (those of a certain age will know what I mean!). So that only comes out at the weekend!

p.s. Found it!

bernard_cribs.jpg

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I can't believe you and McWobble have only been doing this bike stuff for a year. Saying that have been commuting 2 years but it was only in February where actually went out for more than 10 miles.

Suppose in 8 months a fair bit of progress has been made. Hopefully this time next year etc !!

Thanks for putting me in the same sentence as McWobble, but my fitness is a lot closer to yours than it is to the quiet Scottish one.
Whilst I have only had the bike for a year, I've been doing a bit of cycling before then. I used to cycle a bit to keep fit, especially just before my ski-ing holiday, although my old routes were about half the length, and half the amount of climbing and I really used to suffer at the end of them sometimes. I had been commuting into work a few days a week, but working off site got me out of the habit.

Great ride in this morning - cool, dry and sunny.

Downward

Guru
Yes going to carry on commuting through the winter as per normal and try and eat a bit better, cut down the beer and tea and crisps.

Yeah was late Monday, normally about an hour earlier - Nice to see you - Brake pads are bedding in now, Many Thanks

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Since the start I've kept a spreadsheet of rides and kit, it tells me the usual speed, distance guff and, more importantly when components, or bits of kit, were purchased/added.

Originally it also noted costs and savings with a projected break even point, my tinkering addicitons, and love of more bikes, meant that the costs and the break even point were becoming depressing reading. I've been a lot happier since I deleted this information. :whistle:

davefb

Guru
Since the start I've kept a spreadsheet of rides and kit, it tells me the usual speed, distance guff and, more importantly when components, or bits of kit, were purchased/added.

Originally it also noted costs and savings with a projected break even point, my tinkering addicitons, and love of more bikes, meant that the costs and the break even point were becoming depressing reading. I've been a lot happier since I deleted this information. :whistle:

Break Even -> INFINITY..

:smile:

Top Bottom