127 mile canal ride for charity training suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Just 10 miles today, going to take it easy this week as my ride is next Tuesday. Just in the process of working out places to stop where the support vehicle can meet up with me, but finding it a laborious job working out road names to bridges in case of mechanical or other issues. That apart off to liverpool next Tuesday, matthat is hoping to ride a section with me (family and work permitting) so thanks in advance. Hopefully the weather will stay dry but who knows.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Well nearly there now, been sorting kit out today, travelling to liverpool early Tuesday morning. Weather forecast is superb so I've packed my brolly and waterproofs lol. Bike has been checked over, new chain fitted and on yer bike in Burnley have replaced my bottom bracket with a better sealed one (under warranty so thanks guys).

matthat

Über Member
Me and pjays666 met this morning at the Liverpool Pier Head and made our way up the Leeds Liverpool canal towards Aintree but after 15 mins we were in problems already!! Pjayys peddle had wobbled off the bottom bracket which we tried to fix. But due to not having a socket on us the right size it was a stop start ride for the next 8 miles to aintree. At Aintree we met his support van who had a socket set and hopefully it was tight enough to carry on the rest of his ride! I left him then and headed home on the TPT to Hunts cross and he went on his merry way towards parbold and beyond!! Hope you have a good couple of days and hope to meet again sometime soon!
(i've got a pic but file is to big and cannot work out how to compress so will post later or tomorrow if i work it out)

matthat

Über Member
Me and pjays666 met this morning at the Liverpool Pier Head and made our way up the Leeds Liverpool canal towards Aintree but after 15 mins we were in problems already!! Pjayys peddle had wobbled off the bottom bracket which we tried to fix. But due to not having a socket on us the right size it was a stop start ride for the next 8 miles to aintree. At Aintree we met his support van who had a socket set and hopefully it was tight enough to carry on the rest of his ride! I left him then and headed home on the TPT to Hunts cross and he went on his merry way towards parbold and beyond!! Hope you have a good couple of days and hope to meet again sometime soon!
(i've got a pic but file is to big and cannot work out how to compress so will post later or tomorrow if i work it out)

pjays666__1368642871_2.121.239.143.jpg

Pic as promised! Me on right pjays left!!

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Finished my charity ride today, went really well apart from a peddle coming loose every couple of mile all the way to Burnley. Took bike into my local bike shop and they replaced chainset, bb and cranks under warranty so thanks again to on yer bike in Burnley. Got wet through yesterday morning but had chance to dry out while bike was being sorted. The rest of the ride was great, just need to work out the route for my next ride, so keep your eyes peeled for my coast to coast thread. Thanks to Matthat for meeting me in liverpool and supporting me on the first 10 miles.

rovers1875

Veteran
Congrats on completing the ride, Did think of you whilst walking the dogs in pouring rain on the canal on Weds morning. What was wrong with the peddles by the way

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Congrats on completing the ride, Did think of you whilst walking the dogs in pouring rain on the canal on Weds morning. What was wrong with the peddles by the way
Thanks mate, the problem was down to the original bottom bracket being faulty. the peddle kept working loose and I had to keep stopping and tightening it (notchain side). Working wellnow so fingers crossed.

Jimx8559

Well we completed the leeds Liverpool canal on 21st June in 18:24 mins, not a world record but not bad for 3 guys in our mid fifties! Started leeds end at 3:20am finishing Liverpool 9:44... Last 17 miles was pretty tough as you start to run out of steam. We trained for about 3 months doing around 40-50 miles along the tough area of the canal towpath. Regular feeding is really important as is water consumption. We had a support team meeting us after every 30 miles to top up water and food (mostly SIS gels,banana,mars bars and fruit cake)
We managed to raise £4,000 for Macmillan , so worth the effort.
Good luck to anyone else who attempts the ride!!

Top Bottom