127 mile canal ride for charity training suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
No it was on yer bike cycles
Now that is surprising,they guy with the ripped ear lobes is a very competent mechanic. Whilst I find the weird sulky feel of the sales people unsettling, he's always been top notch and the boss has always had no issues with getting warranty work done.

I had a 4 or 5 years old Scott genius snap on me, they got a new frame and built it with no cost to me...including new hoses and cables.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'd recommend taking it up to rideon in Rawtenstall and speak with Craig or Anthony both good guys and they'll sort it for you.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Apparently it is the chain set that is the problem. I will have to pay for a new one but labour will be covered under the care plan I got when I bought the bike, only problem is they are busy and can only guarantee to have it done this week, cue the sunshine (damn)

matthat

Über Member
At least you've got some sort of resolution! Probably not entirely what you wanted to hear! Dunno about summer its bitter here, Weather says 10.c later, but can't see it happening myself.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
I had better keep SWMBO sweet then. I went up and over crown point last Friday, was really chuffed with myself as 3 months ago I was blowing before I turned onto it from Rossy rd

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Well I have done my first 50 miler today (Burnley to skipton return on the canal). I must admit I did find the last bit quite hard work after all the grass and ruts. Since I got back I have noticed my spokes on the back wheel are working loose again ( I have had to have them all tightened once about 2 months ago). The wheels are 700c with disc brakes - any advice welcome thanks.

samfromcas

Regular
Hi pj I am doing the Leeds Liverpool,then on to castleford 142 miles i think on the 7 June with 3 others .we are hoping to wild camp two nights we are starting from Liverpool about 4pm friday, and hoping to find a pub about 30 _40 miles inhave dinner and a couple of pints and then find somewhere out of the way tocamp for the night. Then hopefully onto gargrave area for same next night,then on to home in castlford on sunday.doing very similar training to you.will be our first 50 miler on saturday ,Castleford to shipley and back. 54 miles .if any one knows of any camp sites in them areas or out of the way wild camp sites ,info would be helpfull. Good luck with the training and enjoy the ride. Sam .

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Hi pj I am doing the Leeds Liverpool,then on to castleford 142 miles i think on the 7 June with 3 others .we are hoping to wild camp two nights we are starting from Liverpool about 4pm friday, and hoping to find a pub about 30 _40 miles inhave dinner and a couple of pints and then find somewhere out of the way tocamp for the night. Then hopefully onto gargrave area for same next night,then on to home in castlford on sunday.doing very similar training to you.will be our first 50 miler on saturday ,Castleford to shipley and back. 54 miles .if any one knows of any camp sites in them areas or out of the way wild camp sites ,info would be helpfull. Good luck with the training and enjoy the ride. Sam .
I couldn't find any campsites around chorley but if you go into the top lock pub any evening there is a farmer who would let you use his field for the night, just on canal. Obviously there are no facilities (the landlord of the pub gave us that info). There is a campsite in gargrave right on the canal (Fred greens @ £6 per night per person) hope the info helps.

samfromcas

Regular
I couldn't find any campsites around chorley but if you go into the top lock pub any evening there is a farmer who would let you use his field for the night, just on canal. Obviously there are no facilities (the landlord of the pub gave us that info). There is a campsite in gargrave right on the canal (Fred greens @ £6 per night per person) hope the info helps.
Thanks for info pj will hopefully try those cheers.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Finally managed to get back on the bike after some issues at home only did 11 miles but felt good. Another three rides this week then rest for a week before the ride on 14th. I may do a couple of slow short runs next week to keep legs fresh.

matthat

Über Member
Finally managed to get back on the bike after some issues at home only did 11 miles but felt good. Another three rides this week then rest for a week before the ride on 14th. I may do a couple of slow short runs next week to keep legs fresh.
Hi pj good to see you got out this eve!! I'm hoping to get out this a'noon but don't think it will be a huge ride 6 miles to a friend's little fettle with my bike then probably out for ten or fifteen miles back home!

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Hi pj good to see you got out this eve!! I'm hoping to get out this a'noon but don't think it will be a huge ride 6 miles to a friend's little fettle with my bike then probably out for ten or fifteen miles back home!
Hi Matt did you manage to get your bike fettled, don't forget aldi sale tomorrow. I will be there first thing then out for a ride not sure how far probably 20 or 30 miles.

Top Bottom