127 mile canal ride for charity training suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rovers1875

Veteran
Got back on the bike yesterday and did 16 / 17 miles from Huncoat up to Barden mill and back (not been to well last few weeks). Really nice day yesterday, but the towpath was quite busy with walkers, joggers and cyclists. Just been relooking back through your thead, and something I had mean't to ask previously, but why are you doing the trip over three days? I would have thought two would be relatively easy Especially with the amount of training you seem to be getting in. And as Burnley is only just over half way. you could go home, get a good nights kip, get cleaned up and sort out the bike. I live in Accy and this was my original plan, but then we decided just to go for it in one go.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
I am doing the ride for an ex forces charity and they are supplying a support vehicle and we are going to camp along the way. I originally thought about 3 days because I hadn't cycled for 20 odd years, I am sure now I could do it quicker however there is the comarardery side to consider too.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Got back on the bike yesterday and did 16 / 17 miles from Huncoat up to Barden mill and back (not been to well last few weeks). Really nice day yesterday, but the towpath was quite busy with walkers, joggers and cyclists. Just been relooking back through your thead, and something I had mean't to ask previously, but why are you doing the trip over three days? I would have thought two would be relatively easy Especially with the amount of training you seem to be getting in. And as Burnley is only just over half way. you could go home, get a good nights kip, get cleaned up and sort out the bike. I live in Accy and this was my original plan, but then we decided just to go for it in one go.
You should have sent me a pm I use holiday inn in Burnley to foulridge as a training run - I did that yesterday and agree towpath very busy.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
21 mile on tue and another 21 today. Must admit I preferred tue as weather was far nicer and no wind so 4 minutes faster over same route.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Need to get out for a ride this week, mixture of weather and work stopping me getting out. Is anyone aware of any campsites around chorley area (as close to Johnson hillock top lock).

Hi all I will be doing the leeds liverpool canal for charity around may time. I will be doing this over three days any suggestions to training or nutrition would be welcome. I am a novice cyclist having only been back on a bike since September however the bug is biting so hoping to shed a few stone in the process. Thanks in advance.
We did this last year and had a ball, the 9 of us met every Sunday at The Great Northern in Bradford and did around 30 / 40 miles every Sunday along the canal and that was all the training we did, and that was after a boat load of ale the night before and a couple in Leeds on the way back.

matthat

Über Member
Hi Pjays, How ya doing? Have you been out for any training rides lately? Managed to get out myself yesterday and did 30 miles out and around fiddlers ferry in warrington then back through the lanes to my home patch!! Then today i've just been out and about around Liverpool and clocked up 16 miles! Butts a bit tender but feel pleased with 2 days peddling! I hope your getting on ok with your training regime!!
Matt

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Well done Matt I went out yesterday hoping to do 40 miles down to Parbold, managed 3.5 due to 2 punctures. Been out and priced some marathon plus's. will get them when I get back off my holiday in 2 weeks as I can't put up with punctures all the time on towpath but it is hedge trimming time at the moment.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Hi all, back off my holiday now so need to get some new tyres this weekend. Got to get back into training soon, only 8 weeks left just wish this weather would sort itself out, looks like snow again tomorrow it's supposed to be spring.

Jimx8559

Hi Pjays666,

good luck on your canal run. we are doing Leeds Livepool cnal ride on 21st June this year for Charity, but in a mad moment told everyone we would do it in a day!! anyway my mate and I are doing the canal training weekly. Going to get the train to Wigan Peir tomorrow and cycle to liverpool.(about 27miles) The Towpath surface around Hasall is pretty poor, and the weather is not looking great for tomorrow either.

matthat

Über Member
Hi Pjays666,

good luck on your canal run. we are doing Leeds Livepool cnal ride on 21st June this year for Charity, but in a mad moment told everyone we would do it in a day!! anyway my mate and I are doing the canal training weekly. Going to get the train to Wigan Peir tomorrow and cycle to liverpool.(about 27miles) The Towpath surface around Hasall is pretty poor, and the weather is not looking great for tomorrow either.
Hi there i was by the halsall section yesterday and it wasn't looking to bad where we was but your right it can get pretty nasty there onwards towards liverpool!! And if you don't know the canal actually ends at the Liver Building at the Pier Head as it runs underground from the physical end at the eldonian village. About another mile or two through the edge of town!! Good luck

Jimx8559

Hi Matt,

We were on the halsall stretch some time ago, but it had rained heavily for a couple of days before and it was horrendous ,It was just grass and single wheel track ,can't tell you the amount to times we nearly ended up swimming! Thanks for the heads up re the end of the canal, we have done the run into liverpool before but came out on dock near Regent road. Considering the weather today , me thinks the training run is off today :-)

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Get some miles in and it will be a breeze. I went from being unable to walk to the end of my street and back to doing a three and a half day 130 mile coast to coast bike ride within three and a half months of getting a bike. Try to pick a dry time for the canal ride as chunks of the tow path become quagmires in wet weather. Forty miles per day should prove to be a very comfortable pace.

It's not a particularly scenic ride and be prepared to fend off aggressive geese and swans.

Hi Vernon, I live the other end of the Leeds Liv from you and I don't know what its like your way, but some of it between Wigan and and Liverpool is quite scenic and very enjoyable to cycle along...a few good pubs as well if you fancy a thirst break, I agree about the quagmire though and the occasional flock of geese. If you choose the wrong day you can be slowed down by having to make way for anglers / pedestrians. Should be enjoyable though.

I am doing the ride for an ex forces charity and they are supplying a support vehicle and we are going to camp along the way. I originally thought about 3 days because I hadn't cycled for 20 odd years, I am sure now I could do it quicker however there is the comarardery side to consider too.
HI Pjays
We also did over the Liv to Leeds over three days and this was purely down to the camaraderie side of things, none of the nine cyclists had ever been to Liverpool before so we stopped overnight and visited the docks & the Cavern, needless to say that after getting *issed in the cavern doing it in two days was not possible so we stopped in Chorley in another hotel and did the same again, three of the nine were total strangers who are now good pals and will be joining us on the coast 2 coast plus (see charity rides Bradford). Good news when you get about 4 miles from Leeds, they have just resurfaced the towpath

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Hi all, we'll finally managed to get my shiny new marathon plus's on the rims so tomorrow I'm out for a ride. Not been out since feb and as my charity ride is only 6 weeks away I had better get my lazy a&@e back on the saddle.

Top Bottom