127 mile canal ride for charity training suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
There lies the problem mark - after decent weather - when do we get that I believe the silsden to leeds stretch is quite well surfaced isn't it, whereas greenberfield lock to silsden is like a field. Don't get me wrong i too struggle on hills but am getting there slowly.

We came off maybe 2 miles before Silsden to avoid the mud, used another cycle route that goes through the canal side farm to the town centre. That short stretch is usually the only bad bit between Leeds & Skipton IMO. Generally the towpath dries and drains quickly, you can have long term puddles but with solid surroundings.

A good hill work out is the Bingley 5 rise, the first time I got up, but threw up! Now, I sail up it sat down................

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
We came off maybe 2 miles before Silsden to avoid the mud, used another cycle route that goes through the canal side farm to the town centre. That short stretch is usually the only bad bit between Leeds & Skipton IMO. Generally the towpath dries and drains quickly, you can have long term puddles but with solid surroundings.

That is good to hear. I have only done the section as far as Skipton which was quite slow going at the time and I was informed it was like that to silsden so your comment above has made my day cheers mark

Trying to sort out overnight stops. I will have a support vehicle and are intending to camp on the canal around chorley and gargrave if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding maps or possible stopover places. Thanks in advance.

I've used this site in the past to find sites, in my best radio times voice 'other campsite websites are available also'

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

MarkF

Guru
That is good to hear. I have only done the section as far as Skipton which was quite slow going at the time and I was informed it was like that to silsden so your comment above has made my day cheers mark

From Skipton to near Silsden is fine, if a bit bumpy, from Silsden to Lodge Bridge 194 (about 1.5km towards Bingley) is more suitable for MTB's if it's been raining heavily. I use another cycle route from the farm at Bridge 194 to or from Silsden centre to miss out that small section, it's a lovely ride too.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Was just about to set off today and found yet another puncture (2 in 2 weeks) by the time i got sorted it was nearly blooooooody dark. Day off tomorrow so definately out tomorrow.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi all I will be doing the leeds liverpool canal for charity around may time. I will be doing this over three days any suggestions to training or nutrition would be welcome. I am a novice cyclist having only been back on a bike since September however the bug is biting so hoping to shed a few stone in the process. Thanks in advance.

My suggestion is to avoid the canal and use the tow path .....otherwise your bicycle will go rusty! :laugh:

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Many thanks to louie and charlie at the bike shop on queen st great harwood who rebuilt my back wheel replacing a spoke and tightening the remainder, despite being Louie's day off he came in to help me out and very reasonable price, I will definitely be going back for spares. On a positive not got 40 miles in on a lovely day, bring on the good weather.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Another 22 mile and yet another puncture, think i need to invest in some new tyres. I am currently running on 700 x 35 schwalbe cx comp tyres was thinking of changing to marathon plus's does anyone have any experience with these??????

matthat

Über Member
Another 22 mile and yet another puncture, think i need to invest in some new tyres. I am currently running on 700 x 35 schwalbe cx comp tyres was thinking of changing to marathon plus's does anyone have any experience with these??????
You love these punctures don't you!! Don't wanna tempt fate but i've not had one for months!! Admittedly I do stay on the black stuff more than the mud!!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

Lots of discussions on here about tyres..... I run my bicycles on the Standard Marathons - not quite as good protection as the Marathon Plus - but lighter and I have not had a puncture on a bicycle since I started to use them.... (I keep tempting fate like this - and every time I do, one of my cycling companions gets a puncture!) I always run tyres nice and firm as this reduces the risk of punctures and makes it easier to pedal.
Mind you I had my 3rd one in a year on my car last week......and from preference I would prefer to have punctures on my bicycle than my car.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
You love these punctures don't you!! Don't wanna tempt fate but i've not had one for months!! Admittedly I do stay on the black stuff more than the mud!!
Oh yes I seem to have something go wrong on every outing recently but we plod on dont we. Got to have some luck soon.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Lots of discussions on here about tyres..... I run my bicycles on the Standard Marathons - not quite as good protection as the Marathon Plus - but lighter and I have not had a puncture on a bicycle since I started to use them.... (I keep tempting fate like this - and every time I do, one of my cycling companions gets a puncture!) I always run tyres nice and firm as this reduces the risk of punctures and makes it easier to pedal.
Mind you I had my 3rd one in a year on my car last week......and from preference I would prefer to have punctures on my bicycle than my car.
I run mine at 60 psi my tyre says 35 - 65 psi but still- I know all my training is on canal towpaths and hedges are being trimmed surely I can't hit every thorn hiding can I????

Top Bottom