12k Carbon ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

I don't know much about carbon bikes but would I be right in saying 12k is pretty much low end (cheaper) framed carbon bikes ?.

Could someone briefly explain what 12k means, and if they would recommend it or better off with a top end alu frame for same price.

Will1985

Über Member
If the frame has visible carbon with a weave, that is likely cosmetic. The larger the weave, the larger the 'k' number (referencing thousands of fibres per bundle I think). Compare a Dolan Mythos frame with 12k to the 3k weave of an FSA NeoPro crankset for example.
The thickness of the weave is less important than the way the carbon is laid up in the frame. Generally the inside of the frame is unidirectional (no regular pattern and often dull) with a layer of prettiness on the top.

I read on another forum somewhere that 12k is heavier but theoretically stronger than 3k for the same thickness of carbon fibre.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'd second you on that one Will- checked with mechanics at LBS and the k and r ratings diffrentiate between the weave type of the carbon fibre and the higher number often indicates a stronger frame - better able to take high loads and pressure...apparently.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Will1985 said:
If the frame has visible carbon with a weave, that is likely cosmetic. The larger the weave, the larger the 'k' number (referencing thousands of fibres per bundle I think). Compare a Dolan Mythos frame with 12k to the 3k weave of an FSA NeoPro crankset for example.
The thickness of the weave is less important than the way the carbon is laid up in the frame. Generally the inside of the frame is unidirectional (no regular pattern and often dull) with a layer of prettiness on the top.

I read on another forum somewhere that 12k is heavier but theoretically stronger than 3k for the same thickness of carbon fibre.

Hi I was asking with the mythos in mind, I might be talking out my a**e but interms of the frame itself 12k is pretty much low end, anything over around £1000 and the 'K' rises, so in terms of what your saying about fibres per bundle it would mean there is more and hence a stronger stiffer frame on a more expensive bike?.

I think I get the bit about the way its laid so basically a decent 12k frame is better than a 15k which has not been put together well.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
you'll find lower end frames then 12k, also depends on the frame itself but not always a correlation between stronger and stiffer frame and over £1000. Shop around- you'll find some amazing offers.

There are different ways carbon fibre can be weaved ie monocoque etc.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
ttcycle said:
you'll find lower end frames then 12k, also depends on the frame itself but not always a correlation between stronger and stiffer frame and over £1000. Shop around- you'll find some amazing offers.

There are different ways carbon fibre can be weaved ie monocoque etc.

Now you have lost me but I take your word for it, I have seen monocoque frames on the more expensive bikes so presume this is desirable.

people have said you get what you pay for so im just trying to understand the compromise for a low end carbon bike.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi BB

What I meant is that look at bikes in relation to their componentry etc and research this rather than price bracket as manufacturers can really up the price for not a lot of reason and some of that is branding or marketing strategy.

What you pay for does indeed mean a better bike but not always.

Useful guide tollers

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thank you for the guide I will take a look.

Yes you are right TT thanks for taking the time to enlighten me, I will bear that in mind when looking, I do like the Dolan Mythos although after seeing the pics on busted carbon of one am having second thoughts.

knonist

bad boy said:
Hi All,

I don't know much about carbon bikes but would I be right in saying 12k is pretty much low end (cheaper) framed carbon bikes ?.

Could someone briefly explain what 12k means, and if they would recommend it or better off with a top end alu frame for same price.

it is the tow size of the fibre, larger isnt nesscessary better, aseospace use 12K tow

knonist

bad boy said:
Hi I was asking with the mythos in mind, I might be talking out my a**e but interms of the frame itself 12k is pretty much low end, anything over around £1000 and the 'K' rises, so in terms of what your saying about fibres per bundle it would mean there is more and hence a stronger stiffer frame on a more expensive bike?.

I think I get the bit about the way its laid so basically a decent 12k frame is better than a 15k which has not been put together well.

for bike use, it doesnt matter that much, most land use carbon fibre were off spec aerospace stuff. So it is really strong to start off with. However you must apy more attendion of how it was made and by whom and this affact the performace of the material more than anything elese.

Top Bottom