13 year old to climb Mt Everest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

Arch said:
And good luck to him if it's what he wants to do. I'm not sure what advances he's making for the world though, short of proving one way or the other that a 13 year old can do something a lot of adults have already done. I guess it'll be useful for anyone thinking of opening a Summit of Everest High School.

And I wasn't thinking of academics with my rocks example, more of experimental engineering...
Ok Arch again you come with the Sarcasm. I give up, it seems you disagree with me on everything.

Blimey. When I was thirteen, all I was really interested in was finding new ways to make stuff melt and throwing chips at passers by. What's wrong with kids these days?;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3094 said:
Good on the lad I say, if it wasnt for the likes of him, we'd still be living in caves.

(or worse still, York ;))

Or even worserer still, caves in York. There aren't any...

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3094 said:
I dunno, I hear there's some properties in Heslington* that come pretty close.

* Not entirely sure if thats in York

That's edge of York, where the University is...

so there's a few dives on Campus, but I dunno about caves..

Actually, there are a few 'built' caves along the riverside that house wells and so on.

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry haven't read the thread, but let the kid climb it. It will at least give him something different to write about what he did in his holidays .....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch said:
If everyone set out on potentially lethal adventures before they'd bred, there wouldn't be a human race....:smile:

And I think we owe more to the lad who stayed at home seeing what happened when he hit rocks together, than the ones that climbed mountains....

That noisy sod moved in down the road from mexx(

Mille

darkstar said:
Where are people sense of adventure? Without lads like this the Human race would not have developed. Good luck to him.

I do agree with you to a point, I just think the way he is going about this screams something other than 'pushing the boundaries'.

PBancroft

Well done to him indeed.

As for the danger factor, yes people do die on Everest, but then they die on Scafell too. A lot of it comes down not just to the mountain itself, but to other factors including quality of support, team ability and weather. I understand support is getting better (after a recent controversy where many people passed a climber in trouble without attempting to help him) and even mobile phone coverage is available at the summit.

The lad himself is relatively experienced and will have known what he was letting himself in for. I'm not suggesting that Everest is safe or easy, but from what I've read it sounds like he was as prepared as anyone could be.

Top Bottom