13 year old to climb Mt Everest

dodgy

Legendary Member
Location
Wirral
He has stupid hair.
 

Mille

New Member
Location
Stone
Isn't the current youngest a Nepali Sherpa?

This kid does know that people die on this mountain (despite it's ladders and fixed protection)?
 

PaulB

Legendary Member
Location
Colne
rich p said:
I climbed it when I was 12 but I foolishly ticked the 'no publicity' box and never got the acclaim I deserved.
Yeah, I came with you and was almost a full year younger but I would serpently never breathe a word about this to anyone so thanks for keeping schtum on me. AND I had the guidebook and the map so I knew which way to go!
 
OP
darkstar

darkstar

New Member
Mille said:
Isn't the current youngest a Nepali Sherpa?

This kid does know that people die on this mountain (despite it's ladders and fixed protection)?
Check out the list of peaks he's already completed;

Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa: July 2006
Mount Kosciuszko, Australia: April 2007
Mount Elbrus, Russia, Europe: July 2007
Mount McKinley, Alaska, North America: June 2008
Aconcagua, Argentina, South America: Dec 2007
Carstenz Pyramid, Indonesia, Oceania: September 2009

Seems like he knows what he's doing!

And yes, the current youngest is a 16 years old from Nepal.
 

PaulB

Legendary Member
Location
Colne
darkstar said:
Check out the list of peaks he's already completed;

Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa: July 2006
Mount Kosciuszko, Australia: April 2007
Mount Elbrus, Russia, Europe: July 2007
Mount McKinley, Alaska, North America: June 2008
Aconcagua, Argentina, South America: Dec 2007
Carstenz Pyramid, Indonesia, Oceania: September 2009

Seems like he knows what he's doing!

And yes, the current youngest is a 16 years old from Nepal.
BIG DEAL!!! I climbed Pendle hill last week and I'm only 51!
 
OP
darkstar

darkstar

New Member
PaulB said:
BIG DEAL!!! I climbed Pendle hill last week and I'm only 51!
Genuinely impressive for someone of that age tbh. Didn't know they had stannah stair lifts to the top??
 

Mille

New Member
Location
Stone
darkstar said:
Check out the list of peaks he's already completed;

Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa: July 2006
Mount Kosciuszko, Australia: April 2007
Mount Elbrus, Russia, Europe: July 2007
Mount McKinley, Alaska, North America: June 2008
Aconcagua, Argentina, South America: Dec 2007
Carstenz Pyramid, Indonesia, Oceania: September 2009

Seems like he knows what he's doing!
I see what you're saying, and no offence to anyone that's climbed Kilimanjaro, but it ain't Everest.

Aconcagua is probably the closest, but still think someone hasn't thought this through.
 
OP
darkstar

darkstar

New Member
Mille said:
I see what you're saying, and no offence to anyone that's climbed Kilimanjaro, but it ain't Everest.

Aconcagua is probably the closest, but still think someone hasn't thought this through.
Oh i know Kilimanjaro is no Everest, but he did that aged 10! By the sounds of it he's had more climbing experience than half the people who go up Everest (some are just stupid) and he has put huge amounts of effort into his training. Don't think he would be allowed to do it if he wasn't up to it tbh.
 

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Location
lost somewhere
I know little about this, but here is my take anyway.

A thirteen year old has no concept of his own mortality, and may take risks about which he knows nothing.

His parents may push him a bit.

I think that a girl of a similar age tried to do some flying epic a few years ago and died in a snow storm on a runway.

Pushy, fame-hungry parents living by proxy?

OK, I'm a grumpy old sod....
 

Mad Doug Biker

Bikeoholics Anonymous
Location
Craggy Island
PaulB said:
Yeah, I came with you and was almost a full year younger but I would serpently never breathe a word about this to anyone so thanks for keeping schtum on me. AND I had the guidebook and the map so I knew which way to go!
And all you had to keep you going were your jam sandwiches, a thermos of tea and a Mars Bar which inevetably was flattened at the bottom of your bag.
 
Top Bottom