14 y.o. son can beat me up hills.... reaching the inevitable crossover point!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Gti Junior is now nearly as tall as me and is riding my retired 2006 Roubaix. He can put in some surprising bursts of speed and can out-sprint me up hills but he still lacks stamina over longer rides. I knew this point would come soon as he grows up; he came along on yesterday's evening hooligan ride with my regular buddy and we did one of our favourite circuits (Le Tour de Clitheroe) a distance of 17.7 miles in 1 hour and 4 minutes, therefore 16.6 mph, not bad at all considering it has 1020 feet of climbing and the fastest we've done it was in exactly one hour with a very fit friend hauling us along.

He is very lanky with little muscle bulk and I have been putting maltodextrin in his bottle to try to stave off the tiredness while encouraging him to draft and not to sprint off but it won't be long before I will be the one doing the wheel-sucking. He is especially quick attacking short hills and on the final one-mile sprint back to my buddy's house he stayed right on our back wheels with little apparent effort.

Anybody else been though this crossover point where their offspring begins to out-perform them?

Not yet, but son & daughter both race (U10 & U14 categories), as do I (mainly in the 'old gits' category) - and I'm looking forward to the day when they drop me, because my focus is now on seeing them improve. Unfortunately, my days of improving are long gone - the best I can probably hope for is to maintain the level I'm at. All good though...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My youngest will be 14 by the time i am 58 so if she cant beat me on a bike there will be summat wrong .
I would have thought that most regular 58 year old male cyclists would beat most 14 year old female cyclists in a race, and there would be something wrong if they couldn't! I know a local rider who is still racing (and winning) in his mid-70s.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sure I could still beat my son if I let him get tired but at the moment the last thing I want to do is put him off. Cycling is the only regular exercise he takes so I'm keen for him to enjoy himself. On Wednesday at one point he suddenly declared: "I need to do more of this" so I asked my buddy, who is a doctor, to treat my son to a quick lecturette on endorphins, which he was happy to do.

14 is around the time in my experience. Both could outrun me before 14 and now there is little I can still beat them at, Squash and endurance is about it. They ski faster and better, rock climb better, thrash me at badminton and tennis, in fact most things and they are still getting better and I'm getting slower and more ponderous :smile:

Sara_H

Guru
My 10 yr old has more or less always been able to beat me up hills. He usualyy steams up hills and waits for me at the top!

Thing is he's very fit and has lots and lots of stamina and absolutely loves climbing hills. None of these comments can be applied to me! It was fun for a while when I was using the electric bike as I could keep up with him. Felt safer too, I don't really like it when he gets too far ahead of me, as I like to ride in a really strong primary just a little behind him.

A bonus the other day though. I'd collected him fom his Dad's on my way home from work, he didn't have his bike with him, so we ended up walking. There's a hill on the route thats rally hard to even walk up pushing the bike and the little love rode it up for me!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A bonus the other day though. I'd collected him fom his Dad's on my way home from work, he didn't have his bike with him, so we ended up walking. There's a hill on the route thats rally hard to even walk up pushing the bike and the little love rode it up for me!
Ha ha - 20-odd years ago, when I tried (and failed :sad:) to get my stepdaughter interested in cycling, I used to ride up the steep local hills on my bike, park it, run back down, and then walk up with her bike!

fabregas485

I was struggling to keep up with someone down hill the other day. When I did catch up at the roundabout they looked to be about 70.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'll average that over 60 miles 1800 feet climbing solo but I'm 35 after 60 miles I just fall apart.

And my knee issues have wrecked my training plans.

Top Bottom