152 watts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I think you missed the point. Putting on weight doesn't give you more power. If it did, TTers would not look good in skinsuits. But you can fudge Strava to make you appear more powerful by increasing your theoretical weight. One is real world, one is made-up.
I didn't miss the point, I was just saying. As a 16 stone friend throws some crazy power out on the flats but can't climb for toffee. Ignoring Strava as PM is the way forward.

mattobrien

Guru
Strava power figures can be influenced by wind strength and direction, along with whether you are riding solo or in a group.

Using the Strava power figure as benchmark from which to improve will inturn be influenced by factors other than actual power output.

By all means use speed as a measure of fitness, but power is best measured by a PM and that should give an unadulterated figure.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
If you don't fancy editing your weight in Strava, through vanity or any other reason, you can also edit the weight of your bike. It will have much the same effect.

Strava consistently gives me a higher estimated power on my heavy MTB as it does on my lighter road bike and I know I'm not putting in more effort on the MTB as I'm usually riding it after a long day's work.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Speed is influenced not ony by the external factors you name, but also by ride terrain and rider weight, so is arguably less useful. The Strava power calculation just removes two of many external factors. If you want to use it, it's as valid as the fake "speed" that Straba gives.

I'm not so sure about that. I log all my rides on Strava and the correlation between my "effort" and the average watts it calculates is surprisingly strong. I can do a 2 hour hilly ride and I know that my Strava average will be somewhere between 155 and 165 depending on how I'm feeling on the day

I do appreciate that the actual number may not have all that much meaning and may not be comparable to numbers from riders using PMs, but the calculation algorithm produces surprisingly consistent numbers over widely varying terrain and conditions

As such I use the Strava average watts as a reasonable approximation of my fitness and effort

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Well today's ride, similar distance and climbs. 164w. Felt like I was in the sweet spot for most of it.

si_c

Guru
I'm not so sure about that. I log all my rides on Strava and the correlation between my "effort" and the average watts it calculates is surprisingly strong. I can do a 2 hour hilly ride and I know that my Strava average will be somewhere between 155 and 165 depending on how I'm feeling on the day

I do appreciate that the actual number may not have all that much meaning and may not be comparable to numbers from riders using PMs, but the calculation algorithm produces surprisingly consistent numbers over widely varying terrain and conditions

As such I use the Strava average watts as a reasonable approximation of my fitness and effort
It's consistent, but if the biggest factor in your ride is the wind rather than terrain it tends to be wide of the mark.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It's consistent, but if the biggest factor in your ride is the wind rather than terrain it tends to be wide of the mark.
The second half of my ride was windy. It never gets any easier you just get faster.

Top Bottom