16 Mile Commute Advice - Sidcup to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
ianrauk said:
Indeed.. apologies for the hijack thread

Nay bother, probably the best bit of advice to be honest. Me and Hills are many months away from seeing eye to eye.

Everything south of me is Up and Down country lanes. A friend insists on them, they destroy me as my bike insists on shifting of it's own accord (see other thread).

Taking the bike on the train tomorrow. S.Eastern say pre 7am is ok. Riding home. Should be fun. If anyone wishes to see what a human being breathing out of his arse looks like, one will be passing through Sidcup some time after 6.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well waddyaknow... heard a shout from the other side of the road at the bottom of Bromley Hill this evening.. turned to look just in time to see Mikey whizz by...

jonny jeez said:
That'd be good, I know Ian, mikey and myself have all tried to fix a trip in one morning (without success)

MARKE020272

Scruffmonster, I cycle from various parts of that area to ride into London Bridge, depending on how I feeling on the day. Usually, along the A20 - Lee High St into Lewisham then New Cross and Old Kent Rd. The junction where Lee Fire station is going towards Lewisham you need to watch out for the 2 lanes that try to fit into 1 lane at the other side of the lights and don't give you room. The large roundabout at Lewisham DLR station, watch out for the cars coming from Catford rd. Usually busy there and cars just pull out from all directions. At the top of Lewisham way, watch out for cars turning left at the junction before the traffic lights. Seen 2 people knocked off their bikes when the car turns left quickly to miss the traffic jam at the lights. There are currently roadworks at the bottom of the hill by New Cross bus station which causes alot of traffic. After that, just need to watch for the taxis as you can use the bus lanes most of the way from here. Also, don't forget that the motorbikes can now use the bus lanes as well. From here I go down the Old Kent Rd to Tower Bridge Rd. This is also a traffic hotspot. Why the drivers think this is a 2 lane road when it clearly isn't. This doesn't leave any room on road so you'll end up on the wrong side of the road. On the way back to lewisham, just need to watch out for the junction on the Old Kent Rd where PC World is. Watch out for the lorries turning left there. Also when you get to the bottom of Lewisham Way going into Lewisham, watch out for the traffic turning right across the traffic. It's usually busy so they will be coming across through the traffic. Lewisham roundabout will always be busy. Sorry is it's a long post, but hope it helps. I do about 11 miles each way usually from Bexley on a MTB so I don't think it will be too much of a problem. Get road tyres instead of the knobblies if so haven't already done so. What time of day will you be making this journey?.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
rear ended in Lewisham

So was that you ... who clipped the ugly end of a pick up truck at the bottom of Lewisham Hill tonight?

If so, all I can say is, "hope the Jacobs are okay"....actually I could also say "man you have a good pace", which would be kinder I guess.

now, about that head cam footage.........

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
So I've ridden to the station... And a spoke has popped out... Pheeenomenal.

It's come away from the rim - the small part that holds it in has vanished. Will it be in the wheel? If so, is it a puncture waiting to happen?

Also, do I remove the spoke myself or run it into On Your Bike/Evans at London Bridge?

Forgot my water bottle too. I Truly suck at this.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Update - the little part that holds the spoke to the rim is indeed inside the wheel, rattling round in there having the time of it's life. Will have to go to a bike shop at lunch. Fabulous.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Scruffmonster said:
Forgot my water bottle too. I Truly suck at this.

No you dont, you've learnt two lessons already in one day, that's what I call Pheeenomenal:biggrin:

that little rattly bit is sure to shred your tube if you dont get it out, just pop the tyre of an find it. I would imagine the wheel will survive long enough (with one missing spoke) for a trip to evans at lunch tho.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Shred the tube? I think not, that's what rim tape is for.

No suckage, scruffmonster. Broken spokes and forgotten water bottles are normal for commuting, it's how you deal with them that counts. Water is easy - so many corner shops around, and the spoke might not be too hard to sort either.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Shred the tube? I think not, that's what rim tape is for.

No suckage, scruffmonster. Broken spokes and forgotten water bottles are normal for commuting, it's how you deal with them that counts. Water is easy - so many corner shops around, and the spoke might not be too hard to sort either.

Oh, I assumesd it was "rattling" around the inside of the rim somehow.

but that does make more sense

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, it probably is rattling around the inside of the rim, the bit between the nipple seat and the upper surface which is covered by rim tape.

MAV063.jpg

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Oh FFS. I'm just going to leave it in there, it sounds like one of those spokey dokely things you used to get with monster munch / cereal. Havent changed a tube in like, forever, will give it a go this weekend.

Will also see what the people at Cycle Surgery say. Unless anyone recommends a better quickish repair shop near Liverpool street.

manalog

Über Member
Hello Scruffmuster. I commute everyday from Halfway street to Moorgate.
I normally go on the main roads
Halfway Street to Bexley Road, follow the road all the way to Eltham Road but instead of going towards Lewisham I turn right to Lee Road towards Blackheath through Greenwich park and head towards Creek Road, Evelyn Street, Jamaica Road and Tooley steet. Turn Right at the top of the Road and cross London Bridge. I just find this Route easier I tried going through Lewisham before but I didn't like the Roudabout in Lewisham. If you see someone on a Black Focus Cayo with a Contour HD just wave. :smile:

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
if you plan to commute.....on a regular basis....then you'd better get some practice in...or by a pair of armadillos like mine!:smile:

Won't be getting better anytime soon.. Cycle Surgery and Evans advise wheel rebuild.

Sidcup Bike Shop quoted £35-50 for level 1 service including wheel true up and repair. Taking it there at the weekend.

Top Bottom