170 quid for a pair of tights!!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Abitrary said:
It varies according to journalist, the last one Matt Rudd did was about his mates not being able to make it up a hill, and then someone's wife says asks for a go, and does it effortlessly. And all the blokes go home with their tails between their legs.
Ah, a variation on the old sex war theme. :blush:

Only when we get Clarkson on a mountain bike will we get something a bit more balanced.
Not when you consider that the weight of his ego will do terrible things to his centre of gravity.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
I did. I even read his bloody awful 'novel'. That's why I hate him. He's a smug, arrogant bastard. Go on, do his brake cables. I'll buy you a Babycham. :blush:

AA Gill actually told people in the paper not to buy it or read it because he knew it was awful. I didn't for that reason.

I think he's an excellent writer. His TV reviews should be studied in schools.

bonj2

longers said:
Good links Abitrary, I used to buy the Sunday Times before I got a computer and it would last all week. I'd turn to AAGill first as I do like his style. I don't think I like him but I like his style.

Rod/Rob Little on sport was second port of call. I haven't bought it for months now but if they have a cycling column and are discussing top end clothing it will only be a matter of time before this hobby catches on eh?

he he :blush: that reminds me of why I buy the sun. Q. What's always the best bit of news on page 2 of the sun?

Abitrary said:
AA Gill actually told people in the paper not to buy it or read it because he knew it was awful. I didn't for that reason.

I think he's an excellent writer. His TV reviews should be studied in schools.
I am not his glove puppet and read it regardless. Perhaps if he knew it was that bad he should have had his name taken off it, or handed back the advance. But no, he took the cash and pretended that some big boys wrote it and ran away.
He's an amusing and intelligent writer in the same mould as Clarkson. It's the insufferable arrogance that makes me want to slap him round the face with a tramp's pants.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

AA Gill on Lost, that TV drama that every has seems to have forgotten:

Lost is Marmite television. You love it or loathe it. Personally, I spread it so thinly over my retina that I don’t understand it. It’s the commitment these big, open-ended series demand that I baulk at. It’s not just Marmite, it’s having to eat Marmite for ever. I think twice before giving it to Wagner, so why should I to Jack Thingy from 24? But I know a lot of you arrange your lives around the slalom of TV moments. The only series I’ve religiously kept on the Sky+ is The West Wing. It’s as much an old habit as joyous anticipation. Secretly, I’m rather relieved it’s reached its last incarnation. It started as a smart, soft-Swiftian satire on politics but it has subsided into being Norman Rockwell television, warm and wistful, wishful thinking for liberals. Which might well be how administrations end up: moving round the phantom health- service reforms and imagining armies of teachers, while outside the opposition gathers.

Abitrary said:
AA Gill on Lost, that TV drama that every has seems to have forgotten:

Lost is Marmite television. You love it or loathe it. Personally, I spread it so thinly over my retina that I don’t understand it. It’s the commitment these big, open-ended series demand that I baulk at. It’s not just Marmite, it’s having to eat Marmite for ever. I think twice before giving it to Wagner, so why should I to Jack Thingy from 24? But I know a lot of you arrange your lives around the slalom of TV moments. The only series I’ve religiously kept on the Sky+ is The West Wing. It’s as much an old habit as joyous anticipation. Secretly, I’m rather relieved it’s reached its last incarnation. It started as a smart, soft-Swiftian satire on politics but it has subsided into being Norman Rockwell television, warm and wistful, wishful thinking for liberals. Which might well be how administrations end up: moving round the phantom health- service reforms and imagining armies of teachers, while outside the opposition gathers.
<airy wave of hand>
A poor man's Charlie Brooker. I pay him no heed.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
<airy wave of hand>
A poor man's Charlie Brooker. I pay him no heed.

Charlie Brooker, hehehehe...please don't tell me you read the mail or whatever he's in.

Chuffy, you accidentally bought AA Gills book, and accidentally read it too.

If you can tell me at what point it all became discordant we can work from there...

Abitrary said:
Charlie Brooker, hehehehe...please don't tell me you read the mail or whatever he's in.

Chuffy, you accidentally bought AA Gills book, and accidentally read it too.

If you can tell me at what point it all became discordant we can work from there...
Mr Brooker writes for the Guardian. And AA Gill's book was looking lonely on a library shelf, so I took pity on it.
I feel better now.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Mr Brooker writes for the Guardian. And AA Gill's book was looking lonely on a library shelf, so I took pity on it.
I feel better now.

Oh, him off screenwipe on TV. I respect him like most of the guardian writers in that they make very little talent go a long way.

Does Charlie Brooker ride a bicycle, and does the guardian have a cycling column though?

Abitrary said:
Oh, him off screenwipe on TV. I respect him like most of the guardian writers in that they make very little talent go a long way.

Does Charlie Brooker ride a bicycle, and does the guardian have a cycling column though?
The thought of Charlie Brooker on a bike amuses me....
The Grauniad has Matt Seaton on Thursdays. He's a good chap and his book, The Escape Artist, is excellent.

Top Bottom