170 quid for a pair of tights!!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
totally agree. Great to see Cycling in the Mainstream :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Also worth noting that 'In Gear' is Jeremy Clarkson's home in the paper.

It's seeping in though. Hammond and May are well known to like cycling. And Clarkson's best journo mate AA Gill is recently become a keen cyclist; from a restaurant review:

"I don’t know how to break this to you. Perhaps it’s best just to say it out loud. Okay, here goes: I think I might be a cyclist. I’ve been experimenting with bicycles. I take them out and I ride them. I ride them — they don’t ride me, okay?"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/a_a_gill/article1657208.ece

(read the rest of the article; it's funny and also mostly about cycling)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

"I’ve just found a niche in the fellowship of urban cyclists. We don’t talk much; we just meet up for intense moments under red lights and eye up one another’s cogs."

hehehe, from the article I mentioned above

longers

Legendary Member
Good links Abitrary, I used to buy the Sunday Times before I got a computer and it would last all week. I'd turn to AAGill first as I do like his style. I don't think I like him but I like his style.

Rod/Rob Little on sport was second port of call. I haven't bought it for months now but if they have a cycling column and are discussing top end clothing it will only be a matter of time before this hobby catches on eh?

Irritating toss, reduces cycling to little more than an excuse for buying expensive mate impressing bling on your occasional weekend warrior escapes from the confines of the M25. :blush:
When they run an article about the joy of fettling a skip scrapper into a viable commuter using nothing more than a cable tie and two m5 bolts, then my heart will sing. :thumbsup:

Humbug!

sloe said:
What's a skip scrapper?

And who's AA Gill?
Skip scrapper - Ancient bike rescued from municipal tip by someone with a beard and a shed full of bolts, screws and bits.
AA Gill - A bastard.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Irritating toss, reduces cycling to little more than an excuse for buying expensive mate impressing bling on your occasional weekend warrior escapes from the confines of the M25. :blush:
When they run an article about the joy of fettling a skip scrapper into a viable commuter using nothing more than a cable tie and two m5 bolts, then my heart will sing. :thumbsup:

Humbug!

TBH, I only found the fact that it was in the paper in the first place entertaining.

Too many of those articles have to find an *angle* and in this case it's the usual supposed sex war about women not letting men buy stuff.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Skip scrapper - Ancient bike rescued from municipal tip by someone with a beard and a shed full of bolts, screws and bits.
AA Gill - A bastard.

AA Gill is probably the most perceptive journalist of our generation. Try reading him sometime. He's the reason I for one buy the Sunday Times.

Abitrary said:
TBH, I only found the fact that it was in the paper in the first place entertaining.

Too many of those articles have to find an *angle* and in this case it's the usual supposed sex war about women not letting men buy stuff.
Yeeeeeeeeesss, exactly...:blush:
I find that sort of 'ho ho, wait until the missus finds out eh?!' kind of thing a bit annoying. Too blokey by half. And the tone seemed to suggest that hey, cycling might be serious because look at how much money you can spend on it!

Abitrary said:
AA Gill is probably the most perceptive journalist of our generation. Try reading him sometime. He's the reason I for one buy the Sunday Times.
I did. I even read his bloody awful 'novel'. That's why I hate him. He's a smug, arrogant bastard. Go on, do his brake cables. I'll buy you a Babycham. :blush:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Yeeeeeeeeesss, exactly...:blush:
I find that sort of 'ho ho, wait until the missus finds out eh?!' kind of thing a bit annoying. Too blokey by half. And the tone seemed to suggest that hey, cycling might be serious because look at how much money you can spend on it!

It varies according to journalist, the last one Matt Rudd did was about his mates not being able to make it up a hill, and then someone's wife says asks for a go, and does it effortlessly. And all the blokes go home with their tails between their legs.

Only when we get Clarkson on a mountain bike will we get something a bit more balanced.

Top Bottom