1748 cal in 94 minutes - Really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I'm 5' 10", 17.5 Stone (stop sniggering at the back) and with my normal training partner, did 24.5 miles (128ft elevation) in 1:32:30 at an average speed of 15.9mph. This is pretty much par for the course and I go a bit quicker by myself, headwinds and only 3 gears allowing.

LoadIng the data from Strava into MyFitnessPal is telling me that equates to having burned 1748kcal. Really? The same app used to give me about 350-400kcal burn with 25-30 minutes of jogging and I looked (and felt) like I'd nearly killed myself achieving that. I got back from the ride this morning and took the dog out for an hours walk. After jogging I'd have to lie down.

Is something squiffy going on here, because that's almost a days worth of food or a couple of bottles of Bordeux?

Russell

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It sounds a lot but I'm no expert, I'd imagine the best way of losing that many calories that quickly would be to throw up a McDonald's meal :smile:

How do you know you burned that many?
the bollox-o-meter

vickster

Legendary Member
I use the 30 a mile, so that'd be 750. As a big chap if there were hills, maybe 1000. if trying to lose weight, the exercise is a bonus. You should concentrate on taking in fewer calories

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Looks wrong. My Garmin reckons the other day I burned 865 calories on a 32 miler with almost 3500 foot of climbing ride. Average speed14mph I am marginally taller than you but about 7 stone less.
That's not to say my Garmin isn't telling porkies, but if it was under reading by a half, then I should be a bag of bones.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I have to say I am in the sceptical camp, hence the thread, but I've bunged the same stats 248lb (big chap!), 92mins, 14-16mph into various online calculators and they're all coming up with 1700+.

No matter. When I last lost all the weight I should have kept off, I stuck rigidly to 2100kcal per day intake, Mon to Fri. Couldn't have cared less at weekends. I ran 30 for mins three times a week with a heart rate monitor and keeping my HR between 120-140bpm. The weight weight fell away at 1.5 to 2lb per week, which incidentally, was in line with what the calculators were saying (500 reducing to about 300kcal as the weight came off) hence my confusion here. Mind you, I ended up with real shin issues that eventually buggered all that good work up.

I've been doing the 1.5hr ride at weekends and about 40mins on a Thursday evening. I'm going to add another 40-60mins on a Tuesday night and start the five day calorie counting again. We shall see by the results, whether there's any truck in the predictions, but as long as the general trend is downward, I'll be a (slimmer) happy bunny. :smile:

Russell

Citius

If your calorie calculations are right, then the weight should be flying off and you should be down to your target weight in no time. Alternatively, the numbers are all just pure fantasy, made up by someone in the marketing department.

Top Bottom