:-/

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My work did something similar. People (including me) used to leave their bikes in a (very wide - you could park a car and get a child in either side really) corridor. It was in a very little used part of the station too.

Someone complained and we were forced to move them. The given reason - 'health and safety' of course. When I asked what the specific risk was, it was "the bike could fall on a cleaner while they were cleaning the corridor".

The result wasn't huge for me - just meant I no longer bring the nice bike into work, as I don't want to leave it in wheelbender stands, where it has also been known for people to knock the bikes over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The result wasn't huge for me - just meant I no longer bring the nice bike into work, as I don't want to leave it in wheelbender stands, where it has also been known for people to knock the bikes over.
Isn't that a H&S issue too as the bikes are even more likely to fall over?:whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Health and Safety, my bottom. A few years back we were banned from putting stuff on top of our lockers due to Health and Safety. Never mind that the lockers are ridiculously small for the kit that were given...

One quick FOI request to the local Health and Safety Nazis received a reply that confirmed that never in the history of our country had they received a report of someone being injured by something leaping spontaneously off the top off a locker. The H&S justification is used as a mindless, baseless catch all by people trying to look busy and thus not get made redundant.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@HLaB make friends with the cleaning department: there may be a boiler room/cleaning cupboard you could put your bike in.
TMN :smile:

Tizme

Veteran
Ask around the office as to who actually objects and their reasons, if they quote H&S, ask to see the regulation they refer to, or where it is laid down in company policy/rules.

Brains

Legendary Member
Get friendly with the IT bods
Usually fairly cycle friendly and have access to all sorts of strange places in the building, basements, riser cupboards, server rooms

Top Bottom