18/11/13 - another HGV death in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just heard about another cyclist death in London.
Camberwell area. Male cyclist and HGV!!!
A what point does this end?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24989985 RIP to yet another.

Is it the weather/road layout?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Last edited by a moderator:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24989985 RIP to yet another.

Is it the weather/road layout?

It's the HGVs. Good to hear about operations like the one described by @philk56 above, but it would be good to know what action is going to be taken as a result.

BBC Local Live 1330:

These are the cycle death statistics, from TfL:

• 2010: 10 cyclist deaths, four involving HGVs
  • 2011: 16 deaths, 12 involving HGVs
  • 2012: 14 deaths, five involving HGVs
  • 2013 so far: 14 deaths, nine involving HGVs

[Philip]

Very very sad indeed.

I rode to work today, and I feel a bit nervous cycling in London at the moment, but also reassured that I light myself up light a christmas tree to make sure I'm seen.

On my journey today, going through forest hill in South East London at about 7am, it was still dark and a bit foggy, a cyclist coming towards me was dressed in black, a black helmet, with no front light and a very dim led light on the back attached to his rucksack that either needs recharging or new batteries (or throwing away). He was completely unoticable. I felt quite worried for him.

cyc.jpg

Mile195

Veteran
I have noticed that the roads seem to have got busier than normal over the last couple of weeks or so. Schools were out for half term and things got quiet as you'd expect, then when they all came back the traffic was much worse than before half term. I imagine more people that might usually walk, cycle or public transport are driving because of the weather.

I'm absolutely shocked to hear about yet another death though. Something definitely needs to be done, though what that should be is quite a topic for debate.

Top Bottom