18 months for killing a cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lost control, killed someone, failed to stop, high-speed police chase, refused to admit before the trial. How's that ended up as only 18 months and a driving retest?

"Comments are closed on this article." I guess the newspaper expects outrage, too.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Lost control, killed someone, failed to stop, high-speed police chase, refused to admit before the trial. How's that ended up as only 18 months and a driving retest?

"Comments are closed on this article." I guess the newspaper expects outrage, too.
The two incidents were on different days. I doubt the court can take into account the actions on one day when considering the other.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Sounds like your legal system is as ineffective as Australia's. 18 months for that, particularly given the guy's attitude, isn't justice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
18 months for both offences - probably got more 'time' for the Police chase ! Killing people in/on vehicles doesn't seem to hold any real punishment.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So why defer sentencing for the earlier offence until conclusion of hearing for subsequent offence?

The guy had two separate cases, dangerous driving - police chase - and death by careless - the cyclist.

At the conclusion of the dangerous case, sentence on that was adjourned to await the outcome of the death by case

He is then sentenced for all outstanding matters at the same time, which is what happened.

Piecemeal sentencing is regarded as undesirable, although that policy often means the defendant gets 'two for the price one' which I regard as unfair to the victims and not in the public interest.

The calculation of this sentence is not clear, but he could easily have got 18 months for the police chase on its own.

Death by careless - maximum five years in crown court - doesn't always mean prison, and can be dealt with in magistrates' court where the maximum is six months.

double_dd

Über Member
I was out riding this very road about an hour before this happened. Kind of puts things into perspective.

This is often used as a bikers race track with plenty of people there taking pics of the bikes when they come flying past. They need to sort that out - shameful blaming someone in his lane as the reason why he had to 'drift' into the other lane.

Top Bottom