1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18 months for killing a cyclist.

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by PaulB, 11 Jan 2017.

1. PaulB

PaulB Guru

2. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Lost control, killed someone, failed to stop, high-speed police chase, refused to admit before the trial. How's that ended up as only 18 months and a driving retest?

"Comments are closed on this article." I guess the newspaper expects outrage, too.

raleighnut and Drago like this.
  3. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

I have a sick feeling that this will be the total of concurrent sentencing and not consecutive. Can anyone confirm from other sources?

4. Jody

Jody Über Member

Disgusting

5. We can only hope that Bubba is a cyclist and ends up sharing a bedroom with this maggot.

PaulB likes this.
  6. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Guru

18 months. He'll be out by Christmas, and back on a motorbike. Bans mean nothing to the likes of him.

PaulB likes this.
  7. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

It would be preferable for our courts to impose punishments that don't involve your vicarious sex life.

8. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Staff Member

The two incidents were on different days. I doubt the court can take into account the actions on one day when considering the other.

9. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

So why defer sentencing for the earlier offence until conclusion of hearing for subsequent offence?

10. Sounds like your legal system is as ineffective as Australia's. 18 months for that, particularly given the guy's attitude, isn't justice.

Lonestar and Mrs M like this.
  11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

18 months for both offences - probably got more 'time' for the Police chase ! Killing people in/on vehicles doesn't seem to hold any real punishment.

12. J1888

J1888 Senior Member

18 months? Ffs

13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Veteran

The guy had two separate cases, dangerous driving - police chase - and death by careless - the cyclist.

At the conclusion of the dangerous case, sentence on that was adjourned to await the outcome of the death by case

He is then sentenced for all outstanding matters at the same time, which is what happened.

Piecemeal sentencing is regarded as undesirable, although that policy often means the defendant gets 'two for the price one' which I regard as unfair to the victims and not in the public interest.

The calculation of this sentence is not clear, but he could easily have got 18 months for the police chase on its own.

Death by careless - maximum five years in crown court - doesn't always mean prison, and can be dealt with in magistrates' court where the maximum is six months.

14. Slick

Slick Senior Member

How do you just drift in to the oncoming carriageway? Disgusting.