18650 Battery Buying Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have decided to purchase a couple of T6 type torches to replace my Solarstorm light, that whilst fine is a bit of a faff having a separate battery pack, which is also not holding its charge as long as when new. I also like the idea of having a spare battery or two in the saddle bag in case you need a new one on a long night ride.
Has anyone got any tips on buying 18650 batteries and chargers? I know the higher the mah figure the better, but should I go for protected chargers and are certain brands of battery better than others?
Cheers for any advice.

Slioch

Guru
Torchy the Battery Boy is a good resource. Here

He has an e-bay shop and I've bought lights & batteries from him, and received excellent advice and service.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Xtar chargers. Batteries, Xtar, Senybor, samsung - as above, Torchy for the correct makes. Senybor and Xtar actually have Panasonics.

The biggest you can get are 3600 Panasonic non protected. Protected are a little lower capacity.

I've had no problems with non-protected and protected ones. Quality batteries are fine.

I have an Xtar WP6 charger that smartly charges each cell. You can get these from UK suppliers on ebay. Oh and only get batteries from UK suppliers. Shipping issues with Li-po so UK sellers only, like torchy.

fossyant

If carrying spare bateries, make sure you have a case - you don't want anything shorting out a li-po. They go 'off' - done it in my garage splitting a dead magicshine pack. They start smoking very quickly if there is any short.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My three attempts to buy useful 18650 T6 torches for the bike have ended in utter failure. First of all, the beam pattern is all wrong. Secondly, they didn't keep out water. Thirdly, they all switched randomly between lighting modes, or spontaneously switched themselves off. Maybe they couldn't take the vibrations and shocks. The 18650 batteries were just fine....the torches were utter junk. Torchy the Battery Boy is a good source of advice on batteries though, as others have said. There are some absolute stinkers available.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am a bit paranoid about buying cheap batteries online. I had written off importing them as I had heard that customs are seizing batteries.
Not sure what torches to get yet but again will be looking at a UK seller. I have a 5w torch that has been fine as a back up with 3aaa batteries,but is a little low on power for my commute which is on predominantly unlit country roads.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
+1 for Torchy for his batteries or you can split a laptop battery pack , can yield good results as well ! As for charges I use a Xtar one and I also agree about the XML torches some good ones about and some utter trash as well, had both ! Moved on to quality brands for now, in fact will be saving up for something from Exposure. expensive yes, but quality comes at a price.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I paid a premium for Fenix 18650s. They are protected and have a high capacity. I had previously had the odd issue with cheaper batteries. The Xtar charger is good value and charges reliably.

fossyant

Torchy is well recommended.

For a quality torch, get a Trust fire 501B.

I have two and for £10 they are fantastic. Mine use Cree U2 leds. Battery life is excellent.

They make a great helmet light for MTBing

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
VW, Audi and Porsche owners used to think quality came at a price.... my how everyone else is now laughing.

Not quite the same is it but fair point. However experience of the cheapy torches tells me that yes they do the job but can be a it or miss, for the cash though they are cracking value just don`t compare to exposure or other high end stuff.

Lonestar

Veteran
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111585958452?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T

Bought this charger for a workmate as I owed him a favour plus one of the lights im using and five batteries.I use these chargers myself.Very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...partner,528,;f0121104677f482fdf2f8e2004ec7aee

Also a price comparison and 28 reviews.

Read some of the reviews...if there is a problem with the lead cut the plug off and put a new fused plug on.Good point about the plug,though.I'm sure I've seen one of these somewhere.Doesn't look lie that's a problem in the ebay or amazon picture.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TrustFire...009345?hash=item20f48067c1:g:Z5gAAOSw1vlUthDH

These are the torches I use (2).Don't like the 5 modes (S.O.S?) I prefer the old three mode torches.

Last edited:

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
LIke others have said check out Torchy for batteries. I also bought a Fluxient U2 mini from him and am very pleased with it. When I next need to purchase a light I will more than likely go through him.

Top Bottom