Battery chargers and power packs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
I have used a Garmin Edge Explore for years without any real problems regarding powering the unit. But I am now thinking it would make sense to carry a battery charger with me for the times when I am touring and forget to plug the GPS unit in for an overnight charge. I never have to charge anything more than my phone and the Garmin. Any advice would be very mnuch appreciated. Thanks

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have used a Garmin Edge Explore for years without any real problems regarding powering the unit. But I am now thinking it would make sense to carry a battery charger with me for the times when I am touring and forget to plug the GPS unit in for an overnight charge. I never have to charge anything more than my phone and the Garmin. Any advice would be very mnuch appreciated. Thanks

Power banks are very useful if multi day touring and charging facilities are scarce. Especially, if camping.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Tip would be not to charge when on the move as the vibration can cause the usb socket on your GPS to fail. Build into Cafe stops and your routine when you stop for the day.

If you can, an iPhone you can set an automation to send yourself a text message when the battery drops below 20%. That will appear as an alert on your Garmin Explore if enabled and enable you to charge phone before it runs out. You can also set an automaton to turn the phone to aeroplane overnight to further extend battery. Plus consider which apps you really want to have mobile data access to extend battery. Just 30 mins will get modern ones back up to 50% which should see you to your overnight stop. iPhone batteries are about 1500mAh, thus divide power bank capacity by that to get a rough idea of how many charges you can do.

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
Tip would be not to charge when on the move as the vibration can cause the usb socket on your GPS to fail. Build into Cafe stops and your routine when you stop for the day.

If you can, an iPhone you can set an automation to send yourself a text message when the battery drops below 20%. That will appear as an alert on your Garmin Explore if enabled and enable you to charge phone before it runs out. You can also set an automaton to turn the phone to aeroplane overnight to further extend battery. Plus consider which apps you really want to have mobile data access to extend battery. Just 30 mins will get modern ones back up to 50% which should see you to your overnight stop. iPhone batteries are about 1500mAh, thus divide power bank capacity by that to get a rough idea of how many charges you can do.

Top Bottom