18650 pack replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi
I need to replace my 4x18650 packs for my lights, because they are no longer holding the charge.

I am confused from reading about what to buy. I'd like to buy decent safe protected batteries this time.

Torchy the battery boy is often mentioned, but I can't find his eBay shop, or at least he maybe only sells individual batteries. I'd ideally like to buy a wrapped pack again. Or is it a better idea to buy individual batteries, and a case, and a charger?

classic33

Leg End Member

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Search 'torch the battery boy'. (No, not the puppet)
He's worth a try. If you can't find him, I'll sort a link out later when I'm on the laptop.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Torchy

Ive bought 3 battery packs from him. I 'waterproof' my battery packs by using sandwich bags that have been cut to size/fit and sealed using electrical tape.
It wont work if you take the battery pack for a swim but against all but the most torrential rain it has worked for me.

Alternatively you can use gaffer tape. Just encase the battery inside the sandwich bag and wrap it up or cut it up so you can fold it around the battery for less clutter and a neater look thats also easier to slip it back into the pouch the battery is usually shipped with.

Double wrap it if you feel the need otherwise its a cheap hack that works exceptionally well

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Oh and just twist the open part of the bag around the cable before using a little electrical tape to keep it in place. I'll try to get some pictures up soon

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
Torchy

Ive bought 3 battery packs from him. I 'waterproof' my battery packs by using sandwich bags that have been cut to size/fit and sealed using electrical tape.
It wont work if you take the battery pack for a swim but against all but the most torrential rain it has worked for me.

Alternatively you can use gaffer tape. Just encase the battery inside the sandwich bag and wrap it up or cut it up so you can fold it around the battery for less clutter and a neater look thats also easier to slip it back into the pouch the battery is usually shipped with.

Double wrap it if you feel the need otherwise its a cheap hack that works exceptionally well
Thanks. I was confused because I was looking for a seller with the torchy name. I will probably buy the 6 cell pack for £30. Might also buy another charger because the ones I have, have never given any issues, but I don't trust them. As for waterproofing, I just put the pack in either my top tube bag or my triangle bag.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your best option is to buy the batteries via Torchy then on either ebay or amazon search for solar storm or pannovo battery pack. This is a pack you put your batteries in. I've got 3 of the older packs without the power indicator. You'll then have a quality pack.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Thanks. I was confused because I was looking for a seller with the torchy name. I will probably buy the 6 cell pack for £30. Might also buy another charger because the ones I have, have never given any issues, but I don't trust them. As for waterproofing, I just put the pack in either my top tube bag or my triangle bag.

I find that torchy sells the same cheap battery charger as the Chinese brands do and it takes FOREVER just to charge a 2 cell battery. I ordered a 1000mAh charger from torchy and it was DOA so sent it back for refund. Best charger i have used so far are the ones that came with my magicshine lights i have one spare if you wish to take it off me.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I've made my own, 4x18650 pack, what voltage / mAh you require dictates how they're coupled up.
There are plenty who say this is not a good idea but there are equally plenty of Internet pages dedicated to this subject.
I made mine maybe 6 years ago from recycled Panasonic laptop cells so the battery was effectively free, it's still working. Heavily wrapped in insulating tape. I didn't use it for a year when I had TB, plugged it in, worked with no charging required.
TBF I treat them with respect, don't get them wet and do use a good 3 stage charger...IIRC that charger (mascot brand) cost I or £30, but money well spent

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
Thanks guys. I have a 90 minute each way commute and need full power for most of it. So the issue with having individual batteries is that I would need two chargers, one at work. It might get expensive. At the moment I have one cheap magic shine type charger at work and another couple at home.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Thanks guys. I have a 90 minute each way commute and need full power for most of it. So the issue with having individual batteries is that I would need two chargers, one at work. It might get expensive. At the moment I have one cheap magic shine type charger at work and another couple at home.

If youre talking about charging individual batteries -- I also have one of these that can be plugged into a USB port or mobile phone charger to recharge 2 batteries at a time... Do note it only supplies 500mAh so if your battery is completely flat, it might take a good few hours to be full charged again but it works and has positive reviews. I use it to keep the batteries for my Fluxient U2 mini and other chinese 'Cree' torches powered.

Top Bottom