1900's mtbs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Proof of time travel?

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
I can't using my phone. The width of the tires is what makes me think that. I LOVE those old 1900's cycling pics. No idiots in spandex with fern shaved legs.

Drago

Legendary Member
They were doing so well until that last line. I, a professional MTB trainer, will be out on my road bike today and I'll be wearing Spandex because it's the best tool for the job, so to extract the urine is misguided and needless.

However, I don't shave my legs. At my age it's difficult to bend over for long enough!

ChrisEyles

Guru
My 1950s Raleigh Sports has a very slack head angle and a really short stem, which should make it bang on for modern mountain biking... maybe... the rod brakes might not help though!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd say a lot of rigid MTB's actually have more in common with everyday utility 3 speeds than vintage racing bikes. Many of them are essentially derailleur geared 26" roadsters in execution, with similar slack geometry and long wheelbases but usually a beefed-up frame.

DRM

Guru
I can't using my phone. The width of the tires is what makes me think that. I LOVE those old 1900's cycling pics. No idiots in spandex with fern shaved legs.
I'd put money on it that given the choice early racers would have worn Lycra as it's the best thing for riding in, itchy wool & piece of chamois leather over your backside versus comfy Lycra is a no brainer,

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

They were doing so well until that last line. I, a professional MTB trainer, will be out on my road bike today and I'll be wearing Spandex because it's the best tool for the job, so to extract the urine is misguided and needless.

However, I don't shave my legs. At my age it's difficult to bend over for long enough!

Isn't the whole point of being a road cyclist is the default pass on shaving your legs West Hollywood style and having at least a half-way plausible reason in doing so? < Said in jest so don't get your see thru pink spandex/lycra micro short in a knot over it. It just looks so vain its hard not to draw some pretty bad assumptions when you see it.

More reason why I love mtb'ing. When your covered in dirt/mud nobody gives a sh$# about how smooth and pretty your skinny girly legs look.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

To get my thread back on track:

I've always wondered if they ever did any mtb-type offroad bicycle racing back then, or if even the bikes made back then could withstand the roughness of offroad racing? I've read of bikes "taco-ing" due to hitting city street pot holes in 1895 and these were then top of the line bikes.

Top Bottom