1914 Giro route on 1914 bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The 1914 Giro d’Italia was the most carnage-strewn edition of the world’s most gruelling bicycle race. A century later, Tim Moore set out to retrace its 1,965-mile route with full period kit and a 100-year-old bike. In this extract from his new book, he recounts taking on the Alps with wooden wheels, no gears and wine corks for brakes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...e-worlds-toughest-bike-race-100-years-on.html

Quite amusing. I'm tempted to get the book, but have a few books lined up to read first.

raindog

er.....
cheers - fantastic stuff
must get a copy of that

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very interesting, a great read. I love this, when talking about the people who died on the Giro:
"Let’s try to be honest: Italians are an appalling liability at the controls of any conveyance, from Vespa to cruise liner, because their main preoccupation – way above arriving with all passengers alive and body panels intact – is showing off."

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Couple of pictures to keep us going Doug? :smile:

It genuinely is a mess right now, and is only 85-90% complete. A previous owner threw the (apparently badly corroded) wheels away, so I need to try and find a suitable pre 1932 set (1932 being the year Humber was taken over by Raleigh, so I want a genuine pair).
The same owner (I think) also repainted it matte black (Humbers' were generally black or dark blue with the writing and lining on anyway), so at least I can restore it without worrying about losing any original details (unless they are underneath the existing paint, which I'll have to see in the relevant areas).

A nice feature though is that it has a nickel plated front fork (not the Duplex type), so that would look nice once its restored!!

To be honest, I got it and then sort of forgot about it, as it is still sat in the large cardboard box it was posted in, so I still need to get the full details of exactly what it is from the VCC (which I forgot about also), so it might be older or later (1916 was the date I was given but it seems a bit of an odd date, given the war and all. It would be quite rare if genuine).

It does appear to be a Humber, and has the various tell tale components. Also, it isn't a post 1932 Raleigh model, because the serial numbers are online for those, but not the pre 1932 ones, so it really is pre 1932 example if nothing else.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Anyone fancy having a go with this one if you have bits already??

Mine does have more bits, admittedly, but the frame looks quite nice with this 1935 example!:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221427661071

The 'Wheel Of Life' Chainwheel and cranks:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-b...1427598959?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item338e1d066f

And the headset:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-b...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item338e1df7d8

Etc etc.

Nice, although eventually a tad expensive unless you already have other parts!

Last edited:

raindog

er.....
Doug, none of those links work - at least, not for me.

raindog

er.....
Must be my browser then - or maybe because I'm not in the UK?
Not to worry.

EDIT
just seen this at the bottom of those pages
Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I have some parts left over from my 36-52 Humber that I converted to fixed gear. I have the head badge, the north road bars and. I think the original wheels which I had cleaned but think I might have respoked them.. The sturmey archer hub has no date on so may be a wartime one but I'm no expert. I should have the gear lever as well but Im sure it was a 52/53 version but i can't remember where it is. I might also have the pedals but they were in poor condition if I remember correctly. Also have the metal mudguards but again they need work and I think may have been from a raleigh.

Just for info in case someone is serious about restoring and may need a source of some parts otherwise they'll stay in the garage for a rainy day ;-)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have some parts left over from my 36-52 Humber that I converted to fixed gear. I have the head badge, the north road bars and. I think the original wheels which I had cleaned but think I might have respoked them.. The sturmey archer hub has no date on so may be a wartime one but I'm no expert. I should have the gear lever as well but Im sure it was a 52/53 version but i can't remember where it is. I might also have the pedals but they were in poor condition if I remember correctly. Also have the metal mudguards but again they need work and I think may have been from a raleigh.

Just for info in case someone is serious about restoring and may need a source of some parts otherwise they'll stay in the garage for a rainy day ;-)

I'll bear that in mind, thanks!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Must be my browser then - or maybe because I'm not in the UK?
Not to worry.

EDIT
just seen this at the bottom of those pages
Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries.

I think the actions have ended now anyway. FWIW, it was just a frame and various other bits and pieces.

Simply look up 'Humber Bike' or similar and see what comes up, oh and include International sellers in that search!

To be fair, there are more exciting bikes than Humbers' out there though!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom