1920's path racer project.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I got this 1920's BSA for free. It's in a very poor state and everything on it was totally seized. Because it's in such bad condition and it has a few original parts missing (and because it was free) I have decided to make it into a replica early path racer.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

It does look totally f***ed but it is all solid and can definitely be saved. There is no rot holes or any structural damage to worry about. Just lots and lots and lots and lots of rust! After a LOT of hard work and WD-40 I managed to totally strip it down, the bottom bracket and cranks were a nightmare but I got there in the end. I'm going to go all black, with cream tyres and drop racing rod brake handlebars (if I can get hold of some). The frame is absolutely huge at 26'' and so are the wheels at 28''. Luckily I'm very tall so this is a good thing. If you don't know what a path racer is here's a few pictures:

466004071_6f31b4d9281.jpg

3717084565_c800903ed2_b.jpg

6014912218_9b73a041c5_z.jpg

This will be a very slow project as I can only work on it here and there while not at work. But watch this thread for updates on progress.

stevevw

Guru
if you are not using that gear shifter I could put it to good use on my 1929 roadster that someone upgraded to a thumb shifter in the 50's.

tyred

Legendary Member
This is something I've been thinking about myself for a quite a while but haven't found a suitable frame for the right (i.e. free) price yet.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Well, this is a shame, but this was a very short lived project. I no longer need to make a replica path racer, as I have just bought a real one, and a very nice one too I'm chuffed to bits with it. The only problem is I have to drive 150 mile to get it and 150 back. Still worth it though it's beautiful and rare as hell. Anyway, I will be breaking this BSA up and selling the parts so let me know if you guys want to buy anything off it. Heres the beauty I just bought:

_57%201.jpg

_57%202.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Full resto?

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Full resto?

I hope not, it depends on the condition though. If it's in good original condition under the grease and grime I'm just going to clean it up and keep it original, and just find the right parts for it that are missing, like the pedals and gear lever. But if it's in terrible condition, i might consider a full resto, but I really would rather keep it original. I want it to look it's age not brand new.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Those bars ...that seat...looks awesome!

I know it's beautiful. Those bars are very rare too. This is only the third bike with these bars that i have seen come up on eBay in about 3 years. And I search on there every day! I have decided to start a pre 50's racing bike collection again. I'm really annoyed at myself for selling my Golden Arrow and My Rudge Ulster! So it's time to start again, I love these bikes and work with them every day. It's time to start keeping some for myself!

Daddybus

Über Member
Its sooo addictive isn't it I'm on eBay all the time too...I'm trying to put together a British bikes from British motorbike manufacturers thing..I don't know why- I've no room no shed no time haha

Top Bottom