1931 Raleigh X Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It looks lovely, but to be honest, you'd look a bit of a charlie riding it around!

BTW, what's a 22 c lining?

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
Looking a right Charlie is something I excel in:biggrin:.
Restoring a Saxon Twin tube tandem at the moment.Mrs Bagpuss is going to make period costume for us both.
22 c = 22 carot Gold lining:becool:A real statment of 1930's design from Raleigh:?:

bonj2

another example of a bike with the wrong number/orientation of tubes! Saddle looks like it's only held on by the very back aswell!

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
bonj said:
another example of a bike with the wrong number/orientation of tubes! Saddle looks like it's only held on by the very back aswell!

I know ,but this makes for interest.It is why I like machines of the time between 1930 and 1955 .The designers pushed the rules to get their bikes noticed. This makes them a design classic.My mate who owns this X frame says its a pig to ride.It has even got a steering damper to help make it ridealble.He is also sorting the saddle out.When he rides it his kness hit his elbows:excl:
Other design classics that come to mind ; Saxon twin tube,Sun Manx tt,Paris Galibier,Hetchins,+ about at least 4 others.
Later and more recent .Kirk, various designs from Mike Burrows .
I am no expert on of any of this,I just enjoy the social history of the bicycle.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh, Bonj, Bonj, Bonj...:rolleyes:

Bike design was in it's infancy then. You can't say that that bike is 'wrong' because back then, no-one quite knew what was 'right'. It's an evolving art, and we ain't finished yet.
I think it's luvverly. I'd buy it.:thumbsup:
*looks at flat with 3.5 bikes in. Remembers 3 bikes outside. Remembers bike stored elsewhere*
Well, I would, but I shouldn't.