My first xxxxxxxx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
A bit of a nostalgia thread.

Walking through Greenwich Maritime museum today, saw this..

It was my first camera, a kodak brownie 127.

Was really pleased with it when I was a boy. Took no more than 12 b/w pics per roll, so was very sparing with it.

classic33

Leg End Member
A bit of a nostalgia thread.

Walking through Greenwich Maritime museum today, saw this..
View attachment 617018

It was my first camera, a kodak brownie 127.

Was really pleased with it when I was a boy. Took no more than 12 b/w pics per roll, so was very sparing with it.
They made you slow down and think about what you wanted to take a picture of.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My first camera was a pre war 120 film box camera that my dad had in his collection of junk and bits and bobs that he considered rubbish enough to give to me.

I too upgraded to an instamatic. Which I lost :sad: More proof that I was Not To Be Trusted With Anything.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
The Greenwich Observatory and all of that maritime area makes a great day out - done it twice over the past few years back there.
Been walking thru Greenwich Park almost weekly recently. My daughter lives in Blackheath and we get to look after our grandson every Monday. Some great views from the top, overlooking the new skyline of canary wharf. But its a killer walking back up the hill with a pushchair.

Been walking thru Greenwich Park almost weekly recently. My daughter lives in Blackheath and we get to look after our grandson every Monday. Some great views from the top, overlooking the new skyline of canary wharf. But its a killer walking back up the hill with a pushchair.
Has the maritime museum had a makeover in recent years?
went in once and it seemed rather old fashioned/dry.
(I stress that i like some aspects of old fashioned presentation - not into museums full of AV "aids" where you may as well have sat at home with the laptop,)

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Has the maritime museum had a makeover in recent years?
went in once and it seemed rather old fashioned/dry.
(I stress that i like some aspects of old fashioned presentation - not into museums full of AV "aids" where you may as well have sat at home with the laptop,)
Haven't noticed any change in the last 10 years or so. The north facing side (main entrance) is probably the older part of the building. The south, facing the park does seem fairly modern, where the cafe is. They are doing some building work outside to the paths on the park side.
We were members a couple of years age to get into the "special exhibitions", but were a bit dissappointed. It was just a lots of information boards. Interesting though. Went into the "Ahoy" bit yesterday - a play area for toddlers. Our little Louis really liked it.
The Cutty Sark is a really good visit, all part of the Maritime museum. We saw the latter before the fire and after. It's really "boxed" in now, but still feels authentic.

We were members a couple of years age to get into the "special exhibitions", but were a bit dissappointed. It was just a lots of information boards.
yep I went to one of those once there a fair old number of years ago - Nelson?
A right waste of time - and money - I may as well have sat at home twiddling on the internet or read a good book. And saved my feet.
The British museum is guilty of that sort of stuff to a fair extent these days as well.

Top Bottom