1950s ctc day out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I went on this trip, 18 years old at the time. Belonged to the Romford CTC. My bike was a Urago 5 speed (Simplex), with South of France drop handlebars, and a Brooks B17 saddle (of course).
lucky man, must be the golden age for the clubman cyclists. not that my club is too bad, of course. i absolutely love the bikes of the period, having one myself that is nearly twenty years older than i am…

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Goodness me, all friends together, a day out cycling, refreshments & freashly cooked real food provided by friendly landlords in proper pubs, a leisure ride rather than a competition to see who can go furthest fastest and not only this but a Railway service sympathetic to, useful to & considerate to cyclists. How do we get all that back.
In large measure it's still with us. Getting anything up to 100 people away by train at the end of the FNRttC has never been a problem. Getting cafe owners to open up for us is tricky, takes a bit of trust on their part, but we've always managed. And, as for leisurely - you live in the absolute epicentre of leisure rides.

Hardly any cars which proves that we don't need as many.
there one can only agree. The sheer number of cars on the road in the south east of England, even at weekends, can take drain the pleasure from a day on the bike - but, David, believe me when I say that there are people in your neck of the woods who can take you out for a day down lanes you'll never find any other way, and fashion a ride that is remarkably free from cars... http://www.cyclingswlondon.org.uk/

Then theres not an inch of lycra in sight and none of the riders seem hot, sweaty or bothered by that, in fact they seem more comfortable without it than we do with it. How I was born at the wrong time. Sigh:scratch:
If you do go out with the Midweek Wayfarers or the Cheam and Morden you may meet people who remember going on that very ride back in 1955, and the anniversary ride in 2005. And these days they wear lycra. Sorry, but there you have it....

I did look at hiring a train to take people up to York a couple of years back. Cost - £19,000. The train would have to come down to London from Crewe, pick up at Acton, and then wander up to York at a time and pace to suit Network Rail. And the rail space would have to be booked six months in advance, which would mean lobbing the nineteen grand at the train operator and hoping to goodness that one could sell 450 tickets at over £40 each.

Freddyflintstone

My dad use to cycle with semi-inflated tyres to make it a more comfortable ride across the cobblestones. (and he never suffered with pinched punctures- were the tyres and inner tubes thicker then?)
When my Mum was pregnant and Dad had to get to the hospital in a hurry - he went through 3 red lights- For years when any of the family brought it up he always had a look of guilt & smiled -bless him.

tyred

Legendary Member
My dad use to cycle with semi-inflated tyres to make it a more comfortable ride across the cobblestones. (and he never suffered with pinched punctures- were the tyres and inner tubes thicker then?)

If you're dealing with roadster type bikes with 28 x 1 1/2" or 26 x 1 3/8" wheels, they definitely were. They were also wider and actually roll better at a lower pressure as low pressure, wider tyres are more suitable for less than perfect road surfaces. My 28" wheeled roadster just glides along on a rough road.

Freddyflintstone

If you're dealing with roadster type bikes with 28 x 1 1/2" or 26 x 1 3/8" wheels, they definitely were. They were also wider and actually roll better at a lower pressure as low pressure, wider tyres are more suitable for less than perfect road surfaces. My 28" wheeled roadster just glides along on a rough road.
Hi tyred
What make of tyres do you have on your roadster

tyred

Legendary Member
Hi tyred
What make of tyres do you have on your roadster

On the 28" wheeled Rudge, I have Raleigh branded tyres. If I were to start again or ever manage to wear these ones out, I would go for Delta Cruiser tyres. They have the snag of having a reflective strip which looks very un-vintage but they roll very well and have puncture protection, a useful feature on a rod braked bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Back in my early club days in the late sixties it wasn't that much different on the roads on a Sunday. Shopping on the Sabbath was a couple of decades away and few people had cars anyway so even in Essex and Kent you could ride the minor roads all day without seeing more than a handful of cars.

My first ever clubrun went down the A12 and the A127 from Ilford to Basildon riding two abreast. I wouldn't even dream of taking a bike on the 127 now.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Oh, this is disappointing.

I thought this might be about a ride in the style of the 50s. I got my Christian Dior stylee hat out and everything.

Sadly I almost remember those times, a few years before my time but our club runs were on smaller scale, some old photos have shown up, jumpers with Greenspot gabardine jackets over the top and woolly hats. Trousers narrowed so they didn't catch in the chain and sheepskin mitts in the winter. From Warrington it was Beeston cafe (near the railway bridge) for elevenses and then Whitchurch for lunch. Back via Wem! Home via the pub. I was at that time too young, being probably 14 or 15. I find it incredible now to think how many miles we used to do in a day. There was very rarely unpleasantness and in summer after watching a race, we used to go a short, tea stop ride. We never thought about the bikes, those were things that your Dad codged up for you out of various bits and pieces in the garage, or bought cheaply from another club member.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've seen the start of this a few times and I only noticed recently that they are cycling to the old Watford Junction station to catch their train.

Imagine trying this nowdays on the railway apart from costing you an arm & a leg you would get the Er sorry you cannot bring that bike on the train there is no room pal, how times have changed did it ever rain in the 50s ? Nice film though thanks for posting it!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've seen the start of this a few times and I only noticed recently that they are cycling to the old Watford Junction station to catch their train.

Here you go:
wfdjn1.jpg

wfdjn2.jpg

Note the crap cycle path

Top Bottom