1950s ctc day out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Seen this in a 2 parter. I was interested as some of it is not far from where I now live and it was the year before I was born. It reminded me so much of my childhood looking at the cars (the few there are) :becool:.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It reminded me so much of my childhood looking at the cars (the few there are) :becool:.

Yes, I found the cars as interesting as the bikes. Some of those cars would be worth a bob or two, now.

A great film clip; next time my parents visit, I'll have to show to them. Very nostalgic stuff !

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Goodness me, all friends together, a day out cycling, refreshments & freashly cooked real food provided by friendly landlords in proper pubs, a leisure ride rather than a competition to see who can go furthest fastest and not only this but a Railway service sympathetic to, useful to & considerate to cyclists. How do we get all that back.
Hardly any cars which proves that we don't need as many. Then theres not an inch of lycra in sight and none of the riders seem hot, sweaty or bothered by that, in fact they seem more comfortable without it than we do with it. How I was born at the wrong time. Sigh:scratch:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Goodness me, all friends together, a day out cycling, refreshments & freashly cooked real food provided by friendly landlords in proper pubs, a leisure ride rather than a competition to see who can go furthest fastest and not only this but a Railway service sympathetic to, useful to & considerate to cyclists. How do we get all that back.
Hardly any cars which proves that we don't need as many. Then theres not an inch of lycra in sight and none of the riders seem hot, sweaty or bothered by that, in fact they seem more comfortable without it than we do with it. How I was born at the wrong time. Sigh:scratch:

Yes, it must have been a great experience to have cycled in those times.

Not only is there no lycra; but no compact chainsets and no aluminium or carbon frames . . . how did they manage in those days ? :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
Bugger efficiency, the bikes, cars and indeed the train are so much nicer and more interesting than the modern day versions. I was definitely born out of my time:sad:

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Charming. Loved it.

Goldie

Über Member
Literally full of end-to-end win. The beautiful bikes. The preponderance of pints. The surprising neatness of Rugby - I've parked on that station approach road and it doesn't look like that now! - the gentle and touching faith in fellowship and co-operation. Buffet cars where you can ask them to make up a goody bag. Just lovely...

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
Heh, seen this a few times before. Actually compact cranks are a pretty old idea that have been around for a while, they only just came back recently.

Top Bottom