1950's Raleigh Clubman?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I just bought this. I'm pretty certain it's a 50's Raleigh Clubman. Its a shame that it's not in very good condition as these are very rare now. I have suspicions that the brake calipers, levers, mudguards and the gear lever and pulley wheel are all later additions/replacements. Does anyone know what the correct brakes and guards would be? I've got thoughts of a full respray and re-chrome going round my head but I know I can't afford it. :sad:

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 275
  • $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    153 KB · Views: 387
  • $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 310
  • $_57 (5).JPG
    $_57 (5).JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 294
  • $_57 (6).JPG
    $_57 (6).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 254
  • $_57 (7).JPG
    $_57 (7).JPG
    186 KB · Views: 273
  • $_57 (3).JPG
    $_57 (3).JPG
    93 KB · Views: 252
  • $_57 (4).JPG
    $_57 (4).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 248

Daddybus

Über Member
Isn't it all the same stuff as on your pathfinder?

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Isn't it all the same stuff as on your pathfinder?

Nope, A pathfinder is the same as a Raleigh Lenton. A Raleigh Clubman is the next level up, the mid rage bicycle just under the RRA. Your Rudge Aero Clubman is the same as a Raleigh Clubman. These models were more expensive than the Pathfinders and Lentons as they had loads more alloy parts and more fancy components.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Clubmans have alloy rims, alloy handlebars, alloy brake levers and calipers, alloy seat posts, B17 Brooks saddles instead of B15's which Lentons have. They also have the pinch bolt head sets, Raleigh "Heron" cranks and braised on mudguards mounts half way up the forks rather than on the drop outs. The earlier models also had alloy mudguards instead of celluloid ones. Lentons and Pathfinders were what most people had back in the day, but the more wealthy people had Clubmans, and the very few super wealthy people had Record Ace's. As you can imagine, these higher specs models are getting super rare these days and are also worth a fair amount, if in good condition.

stevevw

Guru
I think yours is a 1949 for a few reasons.
1. 1948 had the lamp bracket as a clamp on, on the left leg yours has the brazeon on the right
2. 1950 was in blue not green and had chrome ends
3 1948 was the Raleigh Lenton Clubman and 1949 was Raleigh Clubman
4 1948 had a darker green head tube 1949 had frame colour head tube

I do not think the UK versions had all the alloy parts that the US versions had. Even the 1948 RRA had a steel stem.
I had a Humber Beeston Clubman 1948 which came with steel brakes, seat pin and stem
Also it had stainless rims on fixed gear hub.

Hope this is of some help on your quest for parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

There's a 50 (rudge) clubman on eBay at the moment which is described as original... It appears to have GB sport brakes & bluemel's guards

Is that the one for £750? I REALLY want it! But I can't justify paying that much for a bike that I'm never going to ride :sad: Saying that I think it is fairly priced as it is in excellent condition. But yes, I do believe that those brakes and mudguards are the same as mine would of originally had.

stevevw

Guru
Is that the one for £750? I REALLY want it! But I can't justify paying that much for a bike that I'm never going to ride :sad: Saying that I think it is fairly priced as it is in excellent condition. But yes, I do believe that those brakes and mudguards are the same as mine would of originally had.

The Clubman was only made from 48 to 50 and the GB Sport brakes came out in 53
The mudguards should be Britannia not Bluemels.

lukAs98

Wasn't the Raleigh lenton just the later model of the Raleigh clubman? I thought they were of the same class just the clubman was the prodesessor?

stevevw

Guru
At the Boot & Back yesterday I had a good look at a near original 48 Lenton Clubman No alloy in sight other than some Bluemels mudguards. Apart from a headclip and headclip stem almost exactly the same spec. as the 1951 Lenton I have.

rhm

... Even the 1948 RRA had a steel stem...
Yes, but not a commonplace item by any standard. It was a hand brazed 531 stem with lugs that matched those on the frame! I've seen them sell for as much as a whole frame. Of course, what they sell for doesn't really tell us anything. Whole bikes often sell for less than a single part.

Wasn't the Raleigh lenton just the later model of the Raleigh clubman? I thought they were of the same class just the clubman was the prodesessor?

To be precise, in the era we're talking about, there wasn't a model called the Raleigh Lenton. There were the Raleigh Lenton Sports, Raleigh Lenton Tourist, and the Raleigh Lenton Clubman. The Raleigh Lenton Clubman was the predecessor to the Raleigh Clubman. Later in the fifties there were other Lenton models, such as a Raleigh Super Lenton. Later on still, there were models of which I've never seen any print record (though I've seen plenty of photos; they did exist) such as a Robin Hood Lenton Sports, and maybe in the 80's something called a Raleigh Lenton. I've never seen one; only a couple bad photos.

stevevw

Guru
I would have thought it has had a repaint at some point as 68 years old. The transfers looked to be very nice quality with the correct Lenton on the seat tube not like Nick's which says Raleigh.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I would have thought it has had a repaint at some point as 68 years old. The transfers looked to be very nice quality with the correct Lenton on the seat tube not like Nick's which says Raleigh.

Yes I think it's definitely had a repaint as the 531 stickers isn't the correct one. I think the Clubmans had a larger one. The one he has is what Lentons had. Also there are no pins stripes. But still it looks like a very well done finish.

Top Bottom