1950s Raleigh Sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I am finally getting around to selling one of the two Raleighs I restored a couple of years ago. After much deliberation I've decided to keep the 3-speed 1930s "Popular", and to find a new home for this 1950s "Sports".

P1030539.JPG
P1030521.JPG
P1030540.JPG

Frame size BB centre to top of seat tube: 23" (would suit 5'6" to 5'10" I should think)
Wheel size: 26" x 1,3/8"
Brakes: Rod brakes
Gearing: 44t / 18t

This Sport is a single speed, 26" wheel model. It's a really fun bike to ride, and very much nippier than it looks at first glance. It also has a rather distinctive slightly downward sloping top tube to the frame, giving it a slightly racier look and feel to the bigger, heavier 28" roadsters. I've ridden it on some long 60+ mile hilly-ish rides and while you won't break any land speed records on it, you won't break too much of a sweat either.

The bike has been fully restored, which entailed the following:

Frame totally stripped down, de-rusted and re-painted
Bottom bracket, wheel hub, and headset bearings cleaned out and re-greased
New brake pads, new front rod brake stirrup, and new saddle (all other parts are original 1950s)
Bike serviced and tuned up (e.g. wheels trued, chain tensioned nicely, all bearings running nice and smooth etc)

Here's some pics of the restoration mid-way in progress.

P1010951.JPG P1010952.JPG

I realise that for a lot of people a restored bike is never quite the same as the original, but in the end I'm glad I went down this route, and am very pleased with the results.

There's also an in-depth thread here on cyclechat here with all the gory details: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1940s-raleigh-rescue-should-i-or-shouldnt-i.168167/

Attachments

• P1080183.JPG
    P1080183.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P1080184.JPG
    P1080184.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 7
  • P1080185.JPG
    P1080185.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1080187.JPG
    P1080187.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 7
  • P1080188.JPG
    P1080188.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 7

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i like that

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
The frame and components are all in very good to excellent condition, as shown in these detail shots:

P1080184.JPG
P1080185.JPG P1080186.JPG
P1080187.JPG
P1080189.JPG P1080195.JPG P1080193.JPG

The only slight exception to this is the handlebars. These are perfectly functional and look fine, but as you can see in this image they have been repaired at some stage with a section of copper tubing on one side, and the other side has some rust damage. However, I have heaved pretty hard on these bars up some steep Devon hills, and they seem structurally perfectly sound.

P1080194.JPG P1080191.JPG
Likewise the tyres, while perfectly serviceable, will need to be replaced at some stage. I have put a few hundred miles on them with no issues, but if I were using the bike as a commuter I would replace with some lovely new white walled puncture resistant ones.

I'd love to see the bike go to a new home where it'll be properly enjoyed so thought I'd put it up here on cyclechat for a while before gumtree/ebay.

I am also totally clueless on how much the bike is (or isn't!) worth, so would welcome any advice and will consider any sensible offers.

I would prefer that the buyer collect from the Exeter area, but would consider posting the bike or sending by courier.

Any questions please just ask!

Attachments

• P1080188.JPG
    P1080188.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
A little update.... you know that feeling when you make a decision by flipping a coin, and it's only when the coin lands on the side you didn't want it to that you find out you'd already secretly made your choice?

Well, I think that's happened with this bike. After making a few little ten mile test rides to the post office and back I realised I'd actually be really sad to see this one go. Can't put my finger on exactly why, but it's just so much *fun* to ride!

Funnily enough while I can rationalise that the other bike is the nicer of the two (pre-WWII, dynamo hub and lights, 3-speed SA rear hub, unlikely to find another one of that age), I'd feel much better about seeing it go to a new home... but my heart says to keep the 50's Sport (OK he actually has a name too, "The Great Green Gatsby", that's how silly I am about this bike).

So, this one's no longer for sale - apologies for the sentimentality-induced umming and erring on the for-sale forum! I'll put the other bike up when I get around to taking some pictures of it.

Mrs M

Guru
A little update.... you know that feeling when you make a decision by flipping a coin, and it's only when the coin lands on the side you didn't want it to that you find out you'd already secretly made your choice?

Well, I think that's happened with this bike. After making a few little ten mile test rides to the post office and back I realised I'd actually be really sad to see this one go. Can't put my finger on exactly why, but it's just so much *fun* to ride!

Funnily enough while I can rationalise that the other bike is the nicer of the two (pre-WWII, dynamo hub and lights, 3-speed SA rear hub, unlikely to find another one of that age), I'd feel much better about seeing it go to a new home... but my heart says to keep the 50's Sport (OK he actually has a name too, "The Great Green Gatsby", that's how silly I am about this bike).

So, this one's no longer for sale - apologies for the sentimentality-induced umming and erring on the for-sale forum! I'll put the other bike up when I get around to taking some pictures of it.

I get it :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Haha, gonna have to play devil's advocate and say keep it ;)

Top Bottom