1950's W F Holdsworth Cyclone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just acquired this Holdsworth Cyclone from my BIL. We did a straight swap. I swapped my Holdsworth Avanti 501 for it . My BIL rescued it from a neighbours garden where it was left out in all the elements. It is a 24 inch model . A bit ouchy in the undercarriage department for my BIL . I can manage a 24.5 inch without any problems so it should be okay.
I think the bike is from the mid 50's, it has a frame number stamped into the LH rear dropout, 1**?46 I think, just going from memory . I know it begins with 1 and ends in 46 the other numbers are indistinct.
The bike is not in original condition as it has Weinmann side pull brakes from the 80's, the gears are Simplex , a long cage version at the rear. I think it was fitted to cope with the dinner plate rear sprocket. It is a bit hilly where the bike came from .
I have just started cleaning up the bike today and have started to de rust the cranks and some sections of the frame which is suffering from a lot of patina, rust.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0014 (1).JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 20

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's a good looking bike but needs a period fr lamp bracket

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I was just doing a bit of research . The latest date for the bike would appear to be 1954/55. The use of a metal head badge and the fact that it hasn't got Nervex Professional lugs would narrow it down to those years .
The rear dropout is made for the Cyclo Benelux derailleur .
The box lining has been done very well. The rear stays also have been done and show the skill of the person who did it . It seems a shame that the lugs weren't also picked out as the intricate shapes are lost in amongst the dark colour of the frame . There is some evidence of the fork crown being picked out in white but as far as I can see the lugs don't seem to have been .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I finished cleaning it today and assembled it with a borrowed rear wheel and chain . I then took it for a 6 mile test ride this afternoon .
The weather is lovely and sunny but windy.
The bike feels light and agile but highly geared despite having a 46 tooth chainring. I can see why the previous owner had a dinner plate rear sprocket. Not sure if the wind was making it feel that way or if my legs were feeling weak. The saddle felt a little bit low. I could only use the top 5 gears of the 6 speed as the wheel isn't dished for this bike. The Cyclo Benelux mount has moved the rear mech out.
The ride went well. I seem to fit it quite well despite it being a large frame , I can just touch the ground with my toes whilst sat on the saddle, even after raising it another half inch. Length wise it feels just fine, I didn't find that I had to keep changing my riding position.
I will have to carry out a few more test rides.

DSC_0181.JPG

Top Bottom